Subject: Use of XML for MPEG Network config

From: "Marie-Jose Montpetit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:40:30 -0400

List:

I am putting together a short draft for the next IETF on the use of XML for MPEG network configuration. This is part of the extension work of a larger IP Over DVB ESA sponsored study as well as my other R&D activities.

The poster child right now is address resolution as this is part of the WG charter, but I can see this approach as being useful for a larger set of application. Our initial view is to have 3 types of services:
- a static version based on local configuration that can be accessed via the web
- a subscriber service
- on demand service
We expect to be able to use the same semantics and have investigated transport methods based on SIP, SOAP/UDP and SOAP/SIP. I know we are not probably the only people on the list thinking about this as the above IP mechanisms for network control are fairly popular right now.

I welcome comments or real life implementations of this.

Thanks

Marie-Jose

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:26:39 +0100

I agree that XML is now becoming a common configuration language, and 
this is certainly one way we must explore in the ipdvb WG: both for 
setting up the L1/L2 information at the Receivers and IP Gateways and 
also for address resolution. It would be interesting to explore 
alternatives for the ways in which XML could be used to map IP addresses 
to PIDs.

Can I ask everyone on this list to send an email if they know of any 
existing work (or work-in-progress), especially if it is  relevant to 
MPEG-2 transmission networks?

Thanks Marie-Jose for starting this topic, and offering to write a draft!

Gorry

Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:

> List:
>  
> I am putting together a short draft for the next IETF on the use of XML 
> for MPEG network configuration. This is part of the extension work of a 
> larger IP Over DVB ESA sponsored study as well as my other R&D activities.
>  
> The poster child right now is address resolution as this is part of the 
> WG charter, but I can see this approach as being useful for a larger set 
> of application. Our initial view is to have 3 types of services:
> We expect to be able to use the same semantics and have investigated 
> transport methods based on SIP, SOAP/UDP and SOAP/SIP. I know we are not 
> probably the only people on the list thinking about this as the above IP 
> mechanisms for network control are fairly popular right now.
>

---

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:14:26 +0200 (MEST)

Regarding XML, it would be great if we could first formulate the
problem and then figure out whether XML is an adequate solution.

That said, there is some work ongoing in the IETF that could be
relevant here (that actually uses XML): the NETCONF WG
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/netconf-charter.html.
I haven't followed the work in the Ops area that much though.

Joerg

---

From: Richard Lhermitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:45:22 +0200

If it's just mapping IP addresses to PIDs, DVB has defined a specific table: INT
(IP Notification Table).
But this table does not inform about service types, service description and
services schedule, but it could be possible to add some specific descriptors to
this tables to give additional information about the IP stream contents. It
depends on the information you would like to transmit in this “XML” description.

Richard

---

From: "Marie-Jose Montpetit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:13:54 -0400

We are aware of INT (see the AR draft) but are looking yes at sending much
more information.

Marie-Jose
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Richard Lhermitte" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: Use of XML for MPEG Network config

> depends on the information you would like to transmit in this "XML"
description.
> > > - a static version based on local configuration that can be accessed
via
> > > the web