Subject: PPP over MPEG-TS over Satellite

From: James Courtier-Dutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:31:03 +0000

Has there been any discussions on the use of PPP over Satellite?

E.g. a PPP SNDU  
    
Or would the preferred method be PPP over Ethernet over Satellite?

This would allow for the Satellite provider to wholesale Satellite
users to ISPs. The ISPs could then use PPP to control access, in much
the same way as used on ADSL today.

James

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:38:52 +0000

Can you please say a little more about your intended scenario, and how you 
were envisaging using PPP?

Gorry

---

From: James Courtier-Dutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:12:45 +0000

> > the same way as used on ADSL today.

User's Host PC -> Ethernet -> Satellite access terminal or mobile
terminal -> Satellite hub -> L2TP link to ISP.

The Mobile terminal would somehow be assigned a multiplex ID unique to
this Mobile terminal.
The Mobile terminal would then add the multiplex ID to the beginning
of the PPP frame and send it over the satellite. The Satellite hub
would then re-multiplex the PPP from the satellite into L2TP sessions
and forward the PPP to the ISP.
The ISP would then use PPP to assign IP addresses to PPP clients using
standard PPP negotiation.
The advantage of this would be that the IP addresses assigned would
then be in the ISP domain, and the ISP could treat the MT in exactly
the same way it treats dialup modem or ADSL users, by assigning them
IP addresses using PPP.
A similar comparison would be using PPPoE on cable TV networks.

James

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:03:13 +0000

The ULE framing is generic, and you could use it to support a PPP frame.

The following ULE link addressing schemes are allowed:

(i) 	No MAC/Link address
(ii) 	MAC/Link dst address only.
(iii) 	MAC src and dst addresses
(iv) 	Link address + MAC src and dst addresses
Which would be most appropriate?

The EtherType for PPPoE (0x880B) is certainly supported by ULE, since it falls 
in the range of IANA-assigned EtherTypes.

I'm not yet aware of anyone who has used ULE in this way. If there are 
additional issues or some experience, perhaps someone on the list could add a 
reply to this?

Best wishes,
Gorry