Subject: Encapsulation issues for DVB-S2: work will start soon in DVB-GBS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:29:25 +0100

Dear list,

You are probably aware of the DVB-S2 standard, for which commercial products
are expected very soon.

See http://www.dvb.org/documents/white-papers/wp06.DVB-S2.final.pdf    for
some background reading.

In addition to the standard way of using MPE for encapsulation of IP or other
protocols as used by these future DVB-S2 products, there is also  a mode
defined in the DVB-S2 standard called Generic Stream (GS) which many in the
satellite industry consider the preferred method for efficient transport of
data, bypassing all MPEG-2 and MPE issues.

Unfortunately however, there is no adaptation layer yet defined for any
protocol over DVB-S2/GS.

It is worthwhile to consider that up to now only a relatively small set of
requirements for such an adaption layer has been generated by the DVB-RCS
group, which are mainly interested in interactive services. The DVB-S2
standard will however also be used in e.g.:

   - satellite ISP's for trunking using IPv4, IPv6, MPLS, UDLR in both
   DVB-S/SCPC and DVB-S2/terrestrial scenarios
   - SNG (Satellite New Gathering) scenarios contributing MPEG-4 over IPv4
   - satellite access networks using PPPoE
   - VoIP satellite trunks links with header compression requirements
   - satellite networks that will require link layer security (ref. ULE
   security discussions on this list)

We would like to inform you that it has just been made known that the GBS
group of DVB will take the responsibilty to work on this adaptation layer.
Taking into account that GBS orginally came up with MPE, we consider it
important that as soon as possible proper requirements from the
IP-over-satellite community are forwarded to this starting ad-hoc group, and
that all previous work as captured in the various ipdvb drafts is considered
and possibly re-used.

If you are a DVB member you might consider to attend this first meeting which
has been preliminary announced to be held in Munich, 15 and 16 December 2004
and come forward with your requirements.

ESA will be very pleased to present any inputs or suggestions coming from
this list during that meeting.

Best regards,

Frank Zeppenfeldt
ESA Telecom
http://telecom.esa.int/ipv6