Subject: Final issues to be resolved priot to ULE rev -03: IANA Procedures

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:16:49 +0000

Bernhard, ipdvb WG,

There were two issues that were addressed at the IETF-61 meeting - This is the 
second, the IANA considerations section.

Please give this prompt attention, it would be good to receive email 
supporting this text or requesting clarification. When both issues are 
complete the authors will be ready to submit the final edits to make rev -03 
of ULE (which will be put to WGLC).

Gorry
(as ULE Co-Author)

---

2) IANA Considerations

To make things consistent throughout I replaced *all* mentions of extensions
to say "Extension Header" (there were lots of variants :-(). The IANA also
provided helpful advice on registry format, and suggested the following
format for the registry 0 - which seemed good to me, have you
thoughts/opinions on this? Is this OK with you?

---

IANA Guidelines

The following contains the IANA guidelines for management of the ULE
Next-Header registry. This registry allocates values decimal 0-512
(0x0000-0x01FF, hexadecimal). It MUST NOT allocate values greater than
0x01FF (decimal).

It subdivides the Next-Header registry in the following way:

1) 0-255 (decimal) IANA assigned values indicating Mandatory Extension
Headers (or link-dependent type fields) for ULE, requiring expert review
leading to prior issue of an IETF RFC. This specification must define the
value, and the name associated with the Extension Header. It must also
define the need for the extension and the intended use. The size of the
Extension Header must also be specified.

Assignments made in this document:

Type     Name                    Reference
  0:      Test-SNDU               Section 4.7.4.
  1:      Bridged-SNDU            Section 4.7.5.

2) 256-511 (decimal) IANA assigned values indicating Optional Extension
Headers for ULE, requiring expert review leading to prior issue of an IETF
RFC. This specification must define the value, and the name associated with
the Extension Header. The entry must specify range of allowable H-LEN values
that are permitted (in the range 1-5). It must also define the need for the
extension and the intended use.

Assignments made in this document:

Type     Name                  H-LEN   Reference
256:     Extension-Padding     1-5     Section 5.

---

From: Bernhard Collini-Nocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:32:59 +0100

Dear Gorry,

thanks for the revised text, which is supported by me.

Regards,
Bernhard

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
> 
> 
> Bernhard, ipdvb WG,
> 
> There were two issues that were addressed at the IETF-61 meeting - This 
> is the second, the IANA considerations section.
> 
> complete the authors will be ready to submit the final edits to make rev 
> -03 of ULE (which will be put to WGLC).
> 
> Gorry
> (as ULE Co-Author)
> 
> ---
> 
> 2) IANA Considerations
>