Subject: Request to publish the WG document : draft-ietf-ipdvb-arch-02.txt

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:32:17 +0000

The Arch ID now rests with our AD. Please find below a copy of the "request to 
publish note" for the ARCH draft.

Best wishes,

Gorry Faihurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)

-----

The following draft defines an architecture for the transport of IP
Datagrams over ISO MPEG-2 Transport Streams (TS) and is a product of the IETF
ipdvb WG:

draft-ietf-ipdvb-arch-02.txt

This document successfully passed WGLC at midnight on 29th October 2004. The
WGLC process was performed on the following list:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/archive/

Feedback was received during the WGLC. Following completion of WGLC, the
document editor updated the draft to correct NiTs and typos found, and to
correct the phrasing of some sections.

During WGLC, a specific question was raised concerning whether the
architecture should mandate a minimal encryption method that would be
mandatory to be supported. Comments from the list, and feedback provided at
IETF-61 showed a consensus that while such security is desirable in some
scenarios, there are also cases where physical layer or network layer methods
may also be appropriate. The consensus was that the WG should allow, but not
mandate, the implementation of link encryption as a part of its architecture.

While updating the ID, the following minor changes were also applied:

- one figure was updated (based on a comment by Rod Walsh, in the update the
ULE protocol was added to the protocol stack; this is intended to also be a WG
protocol spec).
- the references were updated to add some more informative citations.
- one paragraph was removed from the Appendix.

The complete list of changes is available at:

http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/ids/rfcdiff-arch-01-02.html

On behalf of the ipdvb WG, I am now forwarding this for for AD review.
with a request that is published as an Informational RFC.

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst
ipdvb WG Chair

P.S. I intend to send a copy of this note also to the ipdvb list.