Subject: RE: Call for inputs for IETF-62 (Minneapolis) 6-11 March 2005

From: "H.Cruickshank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:16:01 -0000

Hi Gorry and IP-over-DVB members,

We (University of Surrey UK; and Alcatel Space France) had intended to
submit an ID for the IETF-62 meeting, on L2 security for ULE, but we am
sorry that we missed the cut-off for new -00 IDs.  However, I'd like to
make some slides that express our main objectives.

 In a summary, we plan to work on designing a link layer (L2) encryption
for ULE. we plan to define the ULE header types and header extension to
accommodate this encryption.  ULE authentication is a possibility but
the presence of CRC-32 makes its use fairly limited. Also we will define
the key management system that is need for the key exchange. All this
work will be strongly linked to the existing security work in IPsec and
MSEC working groups and DVB-RCS security procedures.

Regarding the D field in ULE header, we will consider whether it is
worth separating the two cases with D=1 (no NPA/MAC address before the
encryption header) and D=0 (an NPA/MAC address is 
present as clear text). The ability to hide the final recipient may be
of interest to some customers. 

Would it be possible for this to be presented to the ipdvb WG meeting,
to see if there is interest in the group in this topic?

We'll submit the draft once the ID archives open after the IETF-62
meeting, and possibly, if all goes well, I'll be able to present it at
IETF-63, in Paris.

Haitham
---
Dr. Haitham S. Cruickshank 
Senior Research Fellow 
Communications Centre for Communication Systems Research (CCSR) 
School of Electronics, Computing and Mathematics 
University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK 
 
Tel: +44 1483 686007 (indirect 689844) 
Fax: +44 1483 686011 
e-mail: [email-masked] 
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/H.Cruickshank/ 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Gorry Fairhurst
Sent: 17 January 2005 17:59
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Call for inputs for IETF-62 (Minneapolis) 6-11 March 2005

The Sixty-second IETF meeting will be held 6-11 March 2005. We don't
normally 
ask so far in advance for Agenda items for the next meeting, but with
two 
documents currently in/completed WGLC, I'd like a sense of the likley
inputs 
for the 62nd IETF in Minneapolis, MN, USA.

A number of people promised inputs at the last IETF, and it's a good
time to 
take stock on the current chartered milestones:

* Done Draft of a WG Architecture ID describing usage of MPEG-2
transport for 
IP transmission.
* Done Draft of a WG ID on the new Encapsulation.
* Done Submit Architecture to IESG

* Jan 05 Draft of a WG ID on the AR Framework, specifying mechanisms to 
perform address resolution.
* Jan 05 Submit Encapsulation to IESG
* Feb 05 Draft of a WG ID or the AR Protocol, defining a protocol to
perform 
IP address resolution.
* Oct 05 Submit AR Framework to IESG
* Dec 05 Submit AR Protocol to IESG
* Dec 05 Progress the Encapsulation RFC along the IETF standards track

Could you please email me directly (or to the ipdvb list) if:

* You intend to prepare/revise an Internet Draft for this meeting.
* You would like to present/discuss a specific issue at the next IETF.

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst
(ipdvb WG Chair).

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:53:00 +0000

Thanks Haitham, 

The slides you sent seem to address a topic that may be of interest to the
group. It's normal practice to write an Internet Draft to explain your
contribution before allocating Agenda time. However, the brief presentation
seems to be in line with the Security Considerations of the -arch- and -ule-
drafts. 

I don't want to delay this until the following IETF, so I will allocate some
time in the Agenda to look at this topic (I'll post copies of the slides to
the list when the Agenda is finalised).

I look forward to submission of the ID as soon as the ID archives open.

Gorry