Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:53:55 +0100

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP over DVB Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Ultra Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for
                          transmission of IP datagrams over an MPEG-2
Transport Stream
        Author(s)       : G. Fairhurst, B. Collini-Nocker
        Filename        : draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt
        Pages           : 45
        Date            : 2005-2-16
        
The MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS) has been widely accepted not only
   for providing digital TV services, but also as a subnetwork
   technology for building IP networks.
    
   This document describes an Ultra Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE)
   mechanism for the transport of IPv4 and IPv6 Datagrams and other
   network protocol packets directly over the ISO MPEG-2 Transport
   Stream as TS Private Data. ULE specifies a base encapsulation format
   and supports an extension format that allows it to carry additional
   header information to assist in network/Receiver processing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
i-d-announce-request at ietf.org with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        mailserv at ietf.org.
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt".
        
NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt>

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:24:35 +0000

This document has now successfully completd the second WGLC and a new ID was 
isseued. On behalf of the ipdvb WG, I am now forwarding this for AD review
with a request that it is published as an Standards Track RFC.

The progress of this ID can be tracked through the IETD ID Tracker interface at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi

A copy of the Request-to-Publish write-up is enclosed below.

Best wishes,

Gorry Faihurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)

----------

WG Internet Draft: draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05.txt
Ultra Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for transmission of IP datagrams over 
MPEG-2/DVB networks

ipdvb WG Chair: G Fairhurst <[email-masked]>

- Technical Summary

    The MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS) has been widely accepted, not only
    for providing digital TV services, but also as a subnetwork
    technology for building IP networks.

- Working Group Summary

This document is a chartered item of the ipdvb WG. Two approaches were 
considered by the WG - ULE was chosen by the WG and was the simplest. The 
specification is now thought to be both clear and unambiguous. The support for 
extension headers will enable the protocol to be maintained and support 
additional features once these are well-understood and can be clearly defined, 
this includes support for optional link layer security. This ID has WG support 
and would be a valuable Standards Track RFC.

- Protocol Quality

The protocol is simple and efficient, yet provides scope for extensions - some 
of which will be very desirable for future work. Specific examples of possible 
future extensions include: L2 encryption support, header compression support 
(e.g. using the ROHC framework).

There is some early implementation experience of the protocol by commercial 
vendors.

rev-03 of this spec is supported by the current Linux kernel, no major 
protocol changes have taken place since this rev. Interoperability tests 
between two independent teams were also performed using an early release of 
the spec (without extension header support), and were summarised to the list. 
IPv4 and IPv6 were both tested, and the results posted to the ipdvb list. 
Extended trials using this early rev of ULE and IPv6 were performed via a 
satellite link to Eastern Europe sites as a part of the SILK Project.

The WG has not yet been notified of any interoperability tests for the final 
protocol.