Subject: Bridge Frame SNDU Encapsulation

From: nurul <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2005 11:35:35 +0800

Hello all,

I have a question on Bridge Frame SNDU Encapsulation. For this type,
there is no differentiation on whether it is receiving IPv4 packets or
IPv6 packets is there? I would just want a confirmation.
Thank you in advance.:)

Best regards,
Nurul

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:50:49 +0000

> IPv6 packets is there? I would just want a confirmation.

Indeed, bridging is a link layer mechanism, the original frame should be
sent without modification as a bridging payload.

The normal operation for IPv6 is expected to use the native encapsulation.
In some scenarios, this is not possible/desirable, in which case L2 bridging
can be used.

The final receiver of the bridged frame will (as usual) consult the
EtherType field of the Ethernet frame received - which will be an IPv6
codepoint if the frame itself carried an IPv6 packet.

Gorry

---

From: nurul <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 2005 09:48:29 +0800

> codepoint if the frame itself carried an IPv6 packet.

Thank you so much for your info. :)

regards,
nurul