Subject: Re: Change to example A in: draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-05

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:41:38 +0100

Bert Wijnen (IESG) noted that the IPv6 addresses used in ANNEX B of the 
current ULE Spec, page 41 are:

    Source IPv6:                  2001:660:3008:1789::5
    Destination IPv6:             2001:660:3008:1789::6

However, to avoid problems arising from people testing with the default 
addresses specified in RFCs, the IETF requires all RFCs to reference addresses 
in a "mythical" prefix that should not be routed to the general Internet. This 
is described in RFC3849, which has reserved:

     prefix  2001:DB8::/32 as a documentation-only prefix  in the IPv6
     address registry.  No end party is to be assigned this address.

The example in the appendix has thus been reworked by Bernhard, and new 
proposed text follows at the end of this email.

I propose to use this new example in a revised rev, which will also include 
the fixes to typos and additional sentences agreed following discussion with 
the IESG.

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)

---------------------------------------------------------

ANNEX B: Informative Appendix - SNDU Encapsulation

    An example of ULE encapsulation carrying an ICMPv6 packet generated
    by ping6.

    ULE SNDU Length  :            63 decimal
    D-bit value  :                0 (NPA destination address present)
    ULE Protocol Type :           0x86dd (IPv6)
    Destination ULE NPA Address:  00:01:02:03:04:05
    ULE CRC32 :                   0x7c171763

    Source IPv6:                  2001:DB8:3008:1965::1
    Destination IPv6:             2001:DB8:2509:1962::2

    SNDU contents (including CRC-32):

0000: 00 3f 86 dd 00 01 02 03 04 05 60 00 00 00 00 0d
0016: 3a 40 20 01 0d b8 30 08 19 65 00 00 00 00 00 00
0032: 00 01 20 01 0d b8 25 09 19 62 00 00 00 00 00 00
0048: 00 02 80 00 9d 8c 06 38 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 7c
0064: 17 17 63