Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:53:46 +0100

Dear WG,

The ULE draft is still in IESG review, although we hope to complete this 
process soon. Most issues have now been addressed. A new I-D was announced 
that addresses most concerns and corrections of the IESG. Please do note the 
slight change of the documemt title.

Specifically this new I-D addresses:

* Brian Carpenter's issues using revised language.
* Issues from the gen-ART review by Michael Patton.

* Bert Wijnen's issue regarding the worked example IPv6 addresses.

* A mistake in Figure 2 (32 bit aligned number shoudkl have been 16-bit)
* Revised references
* Updated IANA section following the review.

* New first paragraph linking the spec to the earlier requirements (in RFC Ed
queue). It's good to explain where things come from.

* Title change: "Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for
transmission of IP datagrams over an MPEG-2 Transport Stream"

The last change is the most significant, and was a result of detailed
discussion within the IESG where it was thought that new name more accurately
reflected the position of the document within the RFC-series. Since the
acronym and title are sufficiently similar to previous ones, the authors
believe this would not orphan the RFC from the body of existing work (in Linux
kernel, commercial drivers, published papers, and mail thread discussions). I
believe this is also an important issue.

Should you wish to see it, the diff file is at:
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ip-dvb/ids/rfcdiff-ule-06-05.html

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)

----

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP over DVB Working Group of the IETF.

         Title           : Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE)
                           for transmission of IP datagrams over an
                           MPEG-2 Transport Stream
         Author(s)       : G. Fairhurst, B. Collini-Nocker
         Filename        : draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt
         Pages           : 49
         Date            : 2005-6-22

The MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS) has been widely accepted not only
    for providing digital TV services, but also as a subnetwork
    technology for building IP networks.

    This document describes a Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation
    (ULE) mechanism for the transport of IPv4 and IPv6 Datagrams and
    other network protocol packets directly over the ISO MPEG-2
    Transport Stream as TS Private Data. ULE specifies a base
    encapsulation format and supports an extension format that allows it
    to carry additional header information to assist in network/Receiver
    processing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
         "get draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
         mailserv at ietf.org.
In the body type:
         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
         how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-06.txt>