Subject: RE: IP over DVB-S2 requirements draft

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 01:13:30 +0300

Hi Juan
 
Has there been any follow up on the DVB-S2 liaisons following the action
point in IETF63? If so, please keep the email list up to date with
progress.
 
If not, you'll keep banging against the same wall: "is this really of
benefit to the internet community without DVB-S2 adoption?" (The answer
being "no", unless there's some major innovation in standards
procedures!)
 
Sorry to be the wet blanket in this, just that it seems sensible only to
employ your talent in the IETF on something which offers realistic
chances of deployment.
 
(BTW, this only applies to WG adoption of the draft, and I'm happy to
see individual efforts for academic or any interest, though I got the
impression you are aiming at WG adoption).
 
Cheers, Rod.

________________________________

	From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Juan Cantillo
	Sent: 30 September, 2005 14:50
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: IP over DVB-S2 requirements draft

	Dear all,
	 
	Following the 63th meeting discussions, we have produced a
brand-new version of our document concerning the IP/DVB-S2 issues. The
I-D "draft-cantillo-ipdvb-s2encaps-01.txt" si bnow available online at: 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cantillo-ipdvb-s2encaps-01.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cantillo-ipdvb-s2encaps-01.tx
t> 
	 
	We look forward to discussing the draft together in Vancouver.
Of course, we warmly encourage you to take a look at it from now;
comments, questions and remarks are most welcome via @.
	 
	Best regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Juan CANTILLO - SatComs PhD. Researcher
	Tel +33 6 23 54 59 65- Fax  +33 5 61 61 86 88
	ENST/TeSA/ENSICA/AAS, Toulouse, FR

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:34:48 +0100

At the moment, the above I-D is an individual submission, and it is not 
chartered as a working group work item. I still do encourage discussion of 
this on the ipdvb WG list, not only because there may be opportunities for 
defining common methods (e.g. with ULE) for header compression, security, and 
other extensions; but because there is a body of expertise in this community 
that could usefully contribute thinking on this topic.

As regards the DVB-S2 encapsulation study group of DVB-GS, activity has been 
slow over the summer months. The next event will be a document outlining 
requirements for evaluation of possible methods - which is currently a work in 
progress within the study group. This is expected soon, and then work on 
protocol detail may begin with the study group.

The chair of the study group is on this email list (as are many members of the 
DVB study group and ETSI).

Best wishes,

Gorry
(ipdvb WG Chair)

---

From: "Axel Jahn, TriaGnoSys GmbH" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:26:38 +0200

Dear colleagues,

as Gorry pointed out, the TM-GBS working group of DVB is working on an
encapsulation protocol for S2 Generic Streams as well. The group is now
editing a requirement document (which includes as well simulation
assumptions for performance evaluation). As it would definitely make
sense to exchange this document, I will ask the GBS group to release the
document to ipdvb.

regards, Axel

Gorry Fairhurst wrote:

>
> At the moment, the above I-D is an individual submission, and it is
> not chartered as a working group work item. I still do encourage
> discussion of this on the ipdvb WG list, not only because there may be
> opportunities for defining common methods (e.g. with ULE) for header
> compression, security, and other extensions; but because there is a
> body of expertise in this community that could usefully contribute
> thinking on this topic.
>
> As regards the DVB-S2 encapsulation study group of DVB-GS, activity
> has been slow over the summer months. The next event will be a
> document outlining requirements for evaluation of possible methods -
> which is currently a work in progress within the study group. This is
> expected soon, and then work on protocol detail may begin with the
> study group.
>
> The chair of the study group is on this email list (as are many
> members of the DVB study group and ETSI).
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Gorry
> (ipdvb WG Chair)
>
>> t>          We look forward to discussing the draft together in
>> Vancouver.