Subject: Fwd to ipdvb: [Réf. : The real benefits of ULE compared to MPE] From Laurence Duquerroy

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:53:42 +0000

I forward the attached message, which appears to have been missed by the 
mailing list. Follow-up welcome.

Best wishes,

G Fairhurst.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Fw:  Réf. : The real benefits of ULE compared to MPE
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:15:43 +0100
From: [email-masked]

<snip>

-----

                       Laurence 

                       Duquerroy                Pour :   [email-masked] 

                                                cc : 

                       15/11/2005 10:10
Objet :  Réf. : The real benefits of ULE compared to MPE 

Hi All,

For IPv6:
MPE can be used to transport IPv4 or  IPv6 packets, however the standard
does not specify clearly how to signal the IP version . There is no type
field in the MPE header.
One solution could be using the LLC/SNAP header (which has a Protocol
Identifier field) , but according to the MPE specification, when carrying
IP packets, the LLC/SNAP header must not be used.

The ULE specification defines a Type field in the ULE  header, which allows
to signal the type of PDU included in the SNDU, and for IP packets:  the IP
version.

Laurence Duquerroy

                       "H.Cruickshank" 

                       <H.Cruickshank@su         Pour :   ipdvb 
<[email-masked]>
                       rrey.ac.uk>               cc : 

                       Envoyé par :              Objet :  The real benefits of 
ULE compared to MPE
                       [email-masked] 

                       14/11/2005 17:27 

                       Veuillez répondre 

                       à ipdvb 

HI All,

Reading through some recent email exchanges has triggered in my mind the
following very basic question:

What are the real benefits of ULE compared to MPE ?

Can someone or some people answer this basic question, in terms of:

* Bytes overhead saving
* IPv6
* IP multicast
* Any operational consideration
* Coding efficiency
* Future uses
* Any other savings

Many thanks
Haitham

--

Dr. Haitham S. Cruickshank
Lecturer
Communications Centre for Communication Systems Research (CCSR)
School of Electronics, Computing and Mathematics
University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XH, UK
Tel: +44 1483 686007 (indirect 689844)
Fax: +44 1483 686011
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/H.Cruickshank/

RT/ST
Research Department / Advanced Telecom Satellite Systems
Tel : 33 (0)5-34-35-63-06  /  Fax : 33 (0)5-34-35-55-60
E-Mail : [email-masked]

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. ALCATEL ALENIA SPACE (and its subsidiaries)
shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message if modified.

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a
sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle,
est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. L'internet ne permettant pas
d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, ALCATEL ALENIA SPACE (et ses filiales)
decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce message, dans l'hypothese
ou il aurait ete modifie.