Subject: Comments on draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:17:34 +0000

Hi Haitham,

I had a few comments on the document.

-  What is the main reason to have a temporary MAC/NPA address in the ULE SID?
Is it to prevent traffic analysis?

- Section 2.2 of the draft says that “if the MAC/NPA address is encrypted, then
the key management system is responsible for generating this temporary MAC/NPA
address”. How is this temporary MAC/NPA address generated if not encrypted?
Also why will this temporary address be even needed if it was not encrypted? It
would then just form an extension to the already open destination NPA address,
which could still be used for traffic analysis.

- This temporary MAC/NPA address seems to be more like a shared secret between
the ends than an address, especially because it can be encrypted along with the
payload.

- Though the text in section 2.2 mentions that the ULE type filed should be
present to define the type of payload carried, but this is not reflected in the
figures. The Figure 1 and 2 should show this type filed to be consistent with
Figure8 of the ULE RFC.

Regards
Prashant

-- 
Prashant Pillai
Research Assistant
School of Engineering, Design and Technology
University of Bradford
Bradford, BD7 1DP
West Yorkshire
United Kingdom
Phone: 0044-1274-233720
email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------