Subject: ipdvb WG Status Report (February 2006)

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:51:57 +0000

Dear ipdvb WG,

There will be a *NO* IETF ipdvb meeting at the IETF in March. Instead, 
here is a short progress report, as we approach half way through the 
Charter given to us by the IESG.

I have discussed the WG status with our AD, and we think we are making 
good progress (although it is always great to welcome new inputs and new 
participation to the group!)  We are both looking forward to an 
energetic WG meeting at the Summer 66th IETF meeting (July 9-14, 2006).

Best wishes,

Gorry Fairhurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)

----
ipdvb WG Documents

During 2005, the WG published two RFCs:
     The ipdvb Framework (INFORMATIONAL) (RFC 4259)
     Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) (RFC 4326)

At the beginning of January, the IETF has assured permanent registry 
entries to identify ULE Streams in the Registries maintained by IANA, 
SMPTE and ATSC.

There is one active WG I-D:

* Addressing Architecture
draft-ietf-ipdvb-ar-02.txt
There has been considerable work by the authors over the past 2 months 
to complete the I-D on "Address Resolution for IP datagrams over MPEG-2 
networks". A new rev of this I-D was issued this month, and people are 
now encouraged to read and comment on this version. The WG plans to 
issue a WGLC for publication as an informational RFC (scheduled March 
2006, after the next IETF meeting).

---

Non-working group I-Ds:

There are three other active documents that are of interest to the WG in 
general, but are not currently WG documents. These are:

* S2 Framework/Requirements for Generic Stream Encapsulation for DVB-S2.
draft-cantillo-ipdvb-s2encaps-02.txt
This document is an individual I-D that starts to identify issues with 
IP protocols over the new native IPv4/IPv6 friendly encapsulation for 
the DVB S2 satellite standard. We have an informal telechat with the 
DVB-GBS Chairman to try to ensure this document compliments work in DVB, 
and that there would be good information flow between the two groups, 
should this become an IETF ipdvb WG work item.

* Configuration  and Usage Scenarios for IPDVB
draft-stiemerling-ipdvb-config-02.txt
This document is an individual I-D that describes different usage 
scenarios and their requirements for IP configuration methods.

* Security Requirements and Framework
draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-00.txt
This is a first draft of an I-D defining Security Requirements for the 
ULE protocol (and ipdvb systems in general). There is a charter item for 
work in this area (scheduled to 2006). The WG Chair will liaise with the 
authors to try to progress this draft.

A number of other IETF WGs have started to discuss requirements for 
generalised header compression methods suitable for multicast, this may 
also be of interest to ipdvb WG members, and I shall seek to relay 
information to this group.

----

The self-updating status page for the WG (with all documents to 
down-load) is:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ipdvb

A complete copy of the minutes from the last meeting is at:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05nov/ipdvb.html