Subject: I-D ACTION: draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:23:24 +0100

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

    Title        : Security requirements for the Unidirectional
                   Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) protocol
    Author(s)    : H. Cruickshank, S. Iyengar, L. Duquerroy
    Filename     : draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt
    Pages        : 13
    Date         : 2006-5-09

   This document provides a threat analysis and derives security
   requirements for MPEG-2 transmission links using the Unidirectional
   Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE). It also provides the motivation for
   ULE link level security. This work is intended as a work item of the
   ipdvb WG, and contributions are sought from the IETF on this topic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
    "get draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Best wishes,

G Fairhurst
(ipdvb WG Chair)

---

From: William Stanislaus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:29:28 +0530

Hello,
I'm a bit confused, sometime before we received similar draft from P.Pillai
on the same area ( secure ULE).
The security requirements discussed by "draft-ppillai-ipdvb-sule-00.txt" are
already discussed in detail by "draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt".

In general, the DVB terminals are just a forwarders i.e. Forwards IP packets
from DVB interface to Ethernet interface (DVB-S/DVB-RCS) and forwards IP
packets from Ethernet interface to DVB interface (DVB-RCS). They don't do
much packet processing, that makes the DVB terminal simple and cheaper in
performance. I was wondering there was no discussion in these drafts about
the performance issues by implementing these security encryptions and
decryptions. In these drafts it was referred to IPSEC and its
functionalities, but at the same time we should not forget the IPSEC
performance degrades and hardware based accelerators

Best Regards,
William Stanislaus | Technical Consultant
Nortel Networks Division | CalSoft
email: [email-masked] | Mobile: (+91) 98409 10581
SkypeIn (VoIP): +1 (650) 515 3738
www.californiasw.com

> From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:23:24 +0100
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Conversation: I-D ACTION: draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt
> Subject: I-D ACTION: draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:37:02 +0100

Hi William,

The draft (draft-ppillai-ipdvb-sule-00.txt) that I submitted a few days back
(3rd May) was to look into how the different security requirements of data
confidentiality, data authentication, data integrity and replay attacks
prevention can be met by using a modified ULE SNDU. It is not intended to be a
“security requirement” draft. The reason why I have added the security
requirement section in my draft is because the security requirements draft
(draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-00.txt) that was submitted a few months back
did not address all these security requirements.

The new revision of the security draft (draft-cruickshank-ipdvb-sec-req-01.txt)
submitted on the 9th of May now addresses the need for these different security
features.

I agree with you that there are performance issues when security overheads would
be added to ULE. But this is a price that one has to pay to get the security
services. It is a trade-off. Also there are several hardware accelerators
present that do enhance the performances of these security algorithms (both for
encryption and generation of MACs)

Regards
Prashant Pillai

-- 
Prashant Pillai
Research Assistant
School of Engineering, Design and Technology
University of Bradford
Bradford, BD7 1DP
West Yorkshire
United Kingdom
Phone: 0044-1274-233720
email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: http://webmail.brad.ac.uk
To report misuse from this email address forward the message
and full headers to [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:21:11 +0100

Prashat,

Thanks for submitting your draft. Focussing for the moment on the 
security requirements and architecture:

Are there any issues that you think you should be addressed in the 
security requirements document that are not currently captured in draft -01?

Or any areas that you think should also be considered?

Gorry

[email-masked] wrote:
>>>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
>>
>>username
>>