Subject: Draft IPDVB Meeting minutes from IETF-69

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:25:04 +0200

The provisional notes from the meeting in Chicago are included below. I'd
like to thank Carsten Borman who provided the notes from which these were
prepared.  Please check these notes and send and comments (or questions) to
the list.

Best wishes

Gorry Fairhurst. 
(ipdvb WG Chair)

---

IP over Digital Video Broadcast (IPDVB) WG IETF-69
26th July 2007
Internet Area

ipdvb WG Chair: Gorry Fairhurst [email-masked]
ipdvb Secretary: Martin Stiemerling
jabber: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/ipdvb/archive
Note-Taker for IETF-69: Carsten Borman

1. Agenda Bashing (5 minutes) - Chair

A recently revised individual draft on ULE security extensions was taken at
the end of the meeting.

2. Document Status (5 minutes) - Chair
Outstanding documents (see slides) to be forwarded for WGLC soon.

* Milestones.
The AR protocol is the only open work item with no active drafts.

* Documents in Last Call - None.
* Documents in IESG/AD Review - None.
* Documents in RFC Editor Queue:
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ar-06.txt
* Published RFCs - None in this period.

3.  ULE Security Requirements (10 minutes) - Chair proxy for Authors
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-sec-req-03.txt

(see slides)

The authors had received comments from the list and discussed these.  The
current draft includes all comments and the authors suggest this was ready
for WGLC.

This document had been sent to ETSI BSM for comment (no comments currently
received). This and the next draft were also sent to DVB-Forum for comment,
and will be tabled at the GBS meeting in August 2007, where they are invited
to provide comments to this WG.

The chair asked if the meeting had comments on the current draft?
(no)
The WG expects to move this to a WGLC after the DVB meeting.

4. Extension Formats for ULE & GSE Encapsulations (10 minutes) - Gorry
Fairhurst
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-ext-03.txt

(see slides)

Draft is now at -03: The latest draft mainly fixes text. There are some
minor fixes to be applied in a new rev.  Rev -03 introduced a table with a
recommended ordering for the types of extensions. The IANA registry is
totally flat, though, and no specific ordering is required. Is this a good
idea or a bad idea?

Carsten: What is the recommendation trying to do?
Gorry: It is intended to provide implementers with an expectation so that
they can build an optimized path (e.g., header prediction).
Carsten: There is a danger that implementors may focus on testing only the
recommended ordering and not the other orderings, resulting in
interoperability issues.
Gorry: True. Some headers are already limited to specific positions in the
chain, but stacks should allow others to be ordered as per the RFCs.

Chair asked if the meeting had comments on the current draft?
(no)
The WG also expects to move this to a WGLC after the DVB meeting.

5. ULE Implementation Status (5 minutes) - Chair/Various

(see slides)

Ulegene (Bernhard Collini-Nocker, Christian Praehauser)
The framework supports MPE, ULE, and has running code for the extension
headers discussed previously. This may in future be published open-source.
Question: When will the open-source status be decided?
Christian  Praehauser (via Jabber): Soon, we expect in August.

6. Security Extension header for ULE - Prashant Pillai

This was first presented some time ago to the WG, but was parked while the
authors worked on the requirements draft. It was revived this week. It is an
individual submission with no Charter item currently against this work.

The draft defines only the framing, as a security building block (it does
not define keying procedures or key management; it does provide proposals
though - appropriate to a range of systems.) This draft is aligned with
requirements rev -03.

Gorry encourages feedback to the authors, especially when the WG commenting
on the requirements draft.

7. Other related drafts: MIB for DVB-RCS (5 minutes) - Chair  proxy for
Authors
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-combes-ipdvb-mib-rcs-01.txt

This is an individual submission. It was presented at IETF-68 in Prague by
Stephane Combes on behalf of Satlabs. It is not intended to become a WG
draft, but is put forward as a potential informational document. Comments
are welcome via the list.

Mark Townsley (AD): Is this the draft with issues with boilerplate?
Gorry: Yes, SatLabs wish to maintain edit control.

Mark Townsley: After the meeting is closed we will find advice on the
boilerplate and IPR issues. Are there other issues?
Gorry: I do not believe we have other issues with this draft. What are the
procedures for progressing the draft?
Mark Townsley:  We can still ask the MIB doctors for a review, and that
would be appropriate. Before that, the WG should look at the draft and
provide any comments.
Gorry: I think the document is now ready for this. I shall send a note to
the list encouraging people to read the -01 revision.

The WG meeting closed with 10 people present, and 2 remote participants.