Subject: Joint draft on ULE security extension

From: Michael Noisternig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:57:27 +0200

Dear all,

may I inform you that we have just recently submitted a joint draft
under http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext-00
describing a new ULE security extension header design.

We invite you to review the document and post any comments to the list.

Thank you,
Michael

Subject: New Version Notification for draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext-00
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:06:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new version of I-D, draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext-00.txt has been successfuly submitted by Michael Noisternig and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Security Extension for Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation Protocol
Creation_date:	 2009-06-29
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 23

Abstract:
The Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) protocol provides
an efficient mechanism for transporting IP and other network layer
protocol data over MPEG-2 networks. Such networks, widely used
especially for providing digital TV services, often use broadcast
wireless transmission media, and are hence vulnerable to various
types of security attacks.

This document describes a new mandatory ULE extension to protect ULE
traffic using security features such as data confidentiality, data
integrity, data origin authentication, and prevention against replay
attacks. Additionally, destination addresses may be hidden from
illegitimate receiver devices using the identity protection feature.

The format of the security extension header as well as the processing
at receivers and transmitters are described in detail. The extension
aims to be lightweight and flexible such that it may be implemented
in low-cost, resource-scarce transceivers, and different levels of
security may be selected.

The security extension may be easily adapted to the Generic Stream
Encapsulation (GSE) protocol, which uses a similar extension header
mechanism.

The IETF Secretariat.