Subject: [ipfix] spam

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:55:57 -0800

sure would be nice if this list was subscriber-only

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Dave Plonka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:26:06 -0600

Two things:

   > sure would be nice if this list was subscriber-only

   Yes, spam is rearing its ugly head here...

   I can try that.  Some subscribers may get their messages delayed if
   they are not sending from the recipient address with which they
   subscribed.  I'll test it out and send an announcement to the list
   before I change the list policy.

   In the WG chairs training sessions, it was suggested that if we do
   make it "subscriber-only", that rejected (non subscriber) postings
   should bounce to the admin (in this case me) which should then
   approve it if the content is pertinent.  Apparently the IESG, etc.
   likes to be able to post to WG lists without having to endure the
   rigmarole of joining.

2) (to all list members) I haven't forgotten about the new lists for
   the architecture and the data model drafts that we mentioned at the
   last WG meeting in Salt Lake.

   I'm thinking that we'd be better off with keeping all the content in
   the same list (since it'll be really quiet here otherwise).  Perhaps
   I'll make seperate entry point email addresses, so that if you email
   to "ipfix-arch" or "ipfix-data" (rather than just "ipfix") your
   message subject will be tagged appropriately, e.g.  "Subject:
   [ipfix-arch] foobar" and "Subject:  [ipfix-data] foobar", which is
   compatible with filtering, if need be.

   Let me know if that's objectionable, however, if so, please propose
   something better than 3 seperate mailing lists. ;^)

Thanks,
Dave

-- 
[email-masked]  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI

---

From: "K.C. Norseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 22:24:42 -0700

Hi Dave,  I hope your holidays were great.

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Plonka <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 5:26 PM
Subject: list administrivia, Re: [ipfix] spam, etc.

>    likes to be able to post to WG lists without having to endure the

Lets stop SPAM!  Even the IETF lists are now regulated.  About time.  I've
gotten porn on some of my wg mailing lists. I'll watch Monty Python if I
want to see spam.

If the IESG doesn't want to subscribe but wants to send an email (they do it
very seldom), it can go through the moderator (slight delay) and they can be
added to the list who can email.

>    something better than 3 seperate mailing lists. ;^)

There is nothing wrong with 3 mailing lists.  The 2 sublists are temporary.
It like forming a committee, we won't get things started unless we can get a
small group to start the focus. Lets form the groups, get them done and then
we can shut down as soon as the first cut of the documents are done.  If you
don't an impromptu mail group would probably form of the main editors and
then people could be left out by accident.

Lets' do start the groups  quickly, so we can get the task at hand done on
time.

K.C.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:33:56 -0800

>    likes to be able to post to WG lists without having to endure the

nope.  we're all just bozos on this bus.  the resons for that request are:
  o sometimes folk post from the wrong account
    - so approve it, or
    - tell them their error
  o sometimes folk like internet-drafts the rfc editor, ... send to a wg's
    list
  o sometimes a non-reader replies to a cross-post
  o etc

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:35:52 -0800

imiho, this list is not so busy that more are needed, but i am just a bozo
on this bus, and this is a matter of taste.

but, if there are other lists which members of the wg should be reading,
then we need to tell the secretariat so they can be added to the wg's web
page so that newcomers don't hear only part of the conversation.

randy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 06:42:33 -0500

I think one list is fine.