Subject: [ipfix-req] suggestion for requirements doc abstract

From: Dave Plonka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:18:35 -0600

IPFIX folks,

The term "passive measurement" is commonly used by the measurement
community and I have been thinking about how to include it in our
requirements document to help clarify which systems are bound to these
requirements.

I suggest we reword the requirements abstract (see
"http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt")
to this:

  Abstract

     This memo defines requirements for network elements that export
     Internet Protocol flow information within a passive measurement
     framework.  These network elements are devices such as routers,
     dedicated traffic measurement probes, and middleboxes.

Then in the terminology section we can define "exporter" thusly:

   "exporter": a network element such as a router, dedicated traffic
	       measurement probe, or middlebox, that exports IP flow
	       information to one or more collectors.

Note that "network element" is used similarly (and perhaps introduced?)
in "A Simple Network Management Protocol" (RFC 1067).

Lastly, in "draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt" there are two instances (one
being the present abstract) of the phrase "export [...] flow
information out of".  I suggest that we instead say "from" rather than
"out of".

Dave

-- 
":) You will make many changes before settling satisfactorily. :)"
 - the actual message (complete with smiley faces) that I received in a
   fortune cookie at dinner after the IPFIX WG meeting during IETF 52
   in Salt Lake City

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Sebastian Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:39:33 +0100

Hi Dave,

>      dedicated traffic measurement probes, and middleboxes.

I find your wording confusing as it sounds that IPFIX is limited to be
used in a passive measurement framework. Obviously IPFIX boxes do passive 
measurement but I could use them in an active measurement framework as well 
combining some sort of traffic generators with IPFIX probes and coordinating 
both.

I guess your intention was to say that IPFIX export information is collected 
by passive measurement so what about "...network elements that export
Internet Protocol flow information collected by passive measurement." ?

Cheers,

Sebastian

-- 
Sebastian Zander                         E-mail: [email-masked]
FhI FOKUS / Global Networking (GloNe)    Tel: +49-30-3463-7287
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31                Fax: +49-30-3463-8287 
D-10589 Berlin, Germany                  www.fokus.fhg.de/usr/sebastian.zander