Subject: [ipfix] Yokohama: Evaluation Process Report

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 21:45:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all:

One of the agenda items for IETF 54 is a report on the IPFIX evaluation
process.  Here's the co-chairs report, we'll disscuss it in Yokohama.

Cheers, Nevil

IPFIX Evaluation Process

Report by Nevil Brownlee, 2 Jul 02

1) Evaluation Team: to be selected by WG co-chairs

   We have a good team with five members; they are:

      Mark Fullmer     [email-masked]
      Juergen Quittek  [email-masked]
      Ram Gopal        [email-masked]
      Reinaldo Penno   [email-masked]
      Simon Leinen     [email-masked]

   I believe this gives us good coverage of equipment builders, flow
   measurement users, and the IPFIX Internet Draft writers.

2) 'Evaluation' mailing list (alias to IPFIX list)

      [email-masked]

   For open (archived) discussion of evaluation-related matters
   on the IPFIX list.

3) Evaluation Team met by teleconference for an hour on Wed 26 June

   The team was strongly influenced by the MIDCOM WG's recent
   evaluation effort; the IPFIX process will be similar.

   a) The team will publish a 'Protocol Advocacy' draft, to be used
      by the Protocol Advocates in making their submissions to the
      Evaluation team.

   b) They will also publish a 'call for IPFIX protocol submissions,'
      most probably via the IPFIX list, referring to a web page on
      the IPFIX web site.  The call for submissions will set out
      preconditions (e.g. 'must be documented in an Internet Draft
      or RFC'), as discussed previously.

   c) Once all the submissions are in, the team will publish them,
      and call for comments about them on the IPFIX list.
      In addition, the team will read all the drafts and form their
      own opionions of them.

   d) The team will publish an 'Evaluation' draft, using the same
      outline as the Protocol Advocacy drafts; this will conclude
      with a recommendation on which protocol most nearly meets the
      IPFIX requirements.

   e) The Evaluation draft will be discussed on the IPFIX list, 
      until we reach WG consensus.

4) Proposed Timetable

    5 July      Publish Protocol Advocacy draft and Call for Submissions

   15 July      Work on consensus in Yokohama, agree on timetable

    2 August    Cutoff for Protocol Submissions to Evaluation Team
                Advocacy drafts published

   16 October   Evaluation team publishes preliminary Evaluation draft
                for discussion on list

    2 November  Evaluation draft submitted as WG draft

   22 November  Evaluation Draft discussed at Atlanta meeting
                WG last call

5) Follow-on

   When evaluation is complete, the WG will be able to revise the
   Architecture and Data Model drafts.  Once we reach WG consensus
   on these they can be submitted for publication as RFCs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                   Director, Technology Development
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x8941      ITSS, The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Dave Plonka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:37:06 -0500

IPFIX folks,

Here's some more status information in preparation for the Yokohama
IPFIX meeting, scheduled for Monday July 15, at FIXME.

At the meeting we will again introduce the Evaluation Team and announce
the "Call For Protocols", which is now available here:

   http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/eval/call_for_protocols.html

Furthermore, to aid protocol advocates in their responses to that
call, their is an "Evaluation Kit" containing I-D templates and
suggestions to help unify the formats of the submissions.  The kit
is now available here:

   http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/eval/

Thanks to K.C. Norseth for the CFP prep work and Juergen Quittek for
putting togerher the evaluation kit.

As usual, we'll post the draft minutes after the meeting.

After that - so that we know that both the meeting attendees and
list participants are up to date - please post feedback regarding
the evaluation effort to "[email-masked]".

This and other IPFIX mailing list addresses are documented here:

   http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/#Mailing_List_Aliases_Convention
   http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/#Other_Mailing_Aliases

For those of you in Yokohama, I hope to see you this week!

Dave

-- 
[email-masked]  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI