Subject: [ipfix] changes in draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-05.txt

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:40:40 +0200

Hi all,

Below please find a list of changes in draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-05.txt compared to version -04. Several further editorial modification are
not listed.

You can see that the list of changes is rather short and it does
not include major issues anymore. I think that the document is
quite stable now and mature enough for entering WG last call.

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek     [email-masked]     Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,    Network Laboratories     Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Adenauerplatz 6, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.ccrle.nec.de

- Section 2.1:
  added reference for BGP in item 3

- changed Section 2.2, paragraph 2 to:
  "Note that one observation point may be a superset of several
   other observation points. For example one observation point can
   be an entire line card. This would be the superset of the
   individual observation points at the line card's interfaces."

- Section 3.4:
    - replaced inrusive/non-intrisuve by active/passive
    - added a note on synomyms active/passive -
      intrusive/non-intrusive - observed/synthethic
    - "packet events" -> "flow records and/or
      notifications on specific events"

- Section 4, paragraph 4:
  "distinguishing a flow in a particular measurement"
  -> "distinguishing flows".

- inserted new Section 5.7. Multicast Flows:
  "For multicast flows containing packets replicated to multiple
   output interfaces, the metering process SHOULD be able to
   maintain discrete flow records per different output interface.
   For example, the metering process SHOULD be able to report
   an incoming multicast packet that is replicated to four output
   interfaces in four different flow records that differ by the
   output interface."

- Section 6.1. Information model:
    - item 8. output interface (ifIndex):
      removed "This requirement does not apply in case of multicast
      flow records."
    - inserted new SHOULD section between MUST and MAY:
      "The exporting process SHOULD be able to report the following
       attributes for each measured flow:
    - and moved attribute 'multicast replication factor' from MAY
      section to SHOULD section (and added a sentence):
      "20. multicast replication factor
           the number of outgoing packets originating from a single
           incoming multicast packet. This is a dynamic property
           of multicast flows, that may change over time. For
           unicast flows it has the constant value 1."
    - removed attribute 'list of output interfaces for a multicast
      flow' from the MAY section.

- Section 6.2. Data Model:
  "MAY be flexible" -> "MUST be flexible"

- Section 7.2, item 1. (configure reporting data format):
  "SHOULD" -> "MUST"

- section 9:
  "higher aggregated flows and exports the resulting flows"
  -> "more aggregated flow records, and exports them"

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:46:04 +0200

Hi all,

> not include major issues anymore. I think that the document is

Maybe this statement is not true yet. There is the issue raised by Carter
(and supported by Benoit) on using MUST or SHOULD or MAY for the ability
of the exporting process to report the output interface of a flow.
Let's solve this issue first.

    Juergen