Subject: [ipfix] IPFIX protocol and SNMP

From: "M. ELK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:15:05 +0000

Hi

Just an idea

IFPFIX will report some fileds which it require that the collector
have an SNMP access  to decode it . As an example is the ifIndex where
the collector need to access the box to get the interface description

Just as an OPTIONAL could IPFIX protocol be extended to report
such info eleviating the collector to have a built-in SNMP module .

For netflow case :

This is could be easily transported in V9 option template format

(Another example is the Next-Hop-Ip-Addr field reported ,

normally for a user it is easier to see "Next_Hop_Router_Name" so the

collector will either access the box with snmp or have a static file

(say File1)listing interface Ip_Addr to "Router_name" mapping .

Alternatively , the IPFIX could report Router_ID_IP_Addr (extracted

from the IGP DataBase) in V9 option template format .

The collector with the help of small file (Say file2)

could drive the "Router_Name" . "File2" is easy to maintain manually

than "File1" as "File1" keep changing (adding hardware ,new
sub-interface config ..etc ) .

N.B: For sure that having a built-in SNMP module or access to SNMP
     libraries is not an issue for Commercial/professional collector but
     the above option could be convenienet for "building U Own
     collector" style user . Or it could be seen to limit the SNMP
     query to the routers .

Brgds

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/