Subject: RE: [ipfix] WG Last Call for Requirements I-D - Relilability

From: "Reinaldo Penno" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:36:38 -0800

Some minor comments.

1)

"
   Please note that if an unreliable transport protocol is used,
   reliability can be provided by higher layers. In such a case only
   lack of overall reliability MUST be indicated. For example reordering
   could be dealt with by adding a sequence number to each packet."

Are we saying that when we use a unreliable protocol the reliability is
going to be provided by higher layers AND in this case only the lack of
overall reliability MUST be indicated by the ipfix protocol?

Or

The three sentences above are totally disconnected...i.e., the "in such
case" refers to the unreliable transport and not the fact that the
reliability can be provided by higher layers.

I guess we mean the first option. In this case I suggest.

Note that if an unreliable transport is used, only lack of overall
reliability MUST be indicated. For example reordering
could be dealt with by adding a sequence number to each packet. Optionally,
when using an unreliable transport, the reliability can be provided by
higher layers.

2)

It seems to me that the phrase "This extensibility MAY be used to provide
additional reliability." is not buying us anything. It seems pretty obvious
that reliability extensions should used to provide reliability...

Regards,

Reinaldo

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:49:32 +0100

Reinaldo,

> overall reliability MUST be indicated by the ipfix protocol?

I clarified this by replacing "In such a case" by "If reliability is
provided by higher layers, "

> that reliability extensions should used to provide reliability...

Yes, the sentence is redundant. It was just put there for clarification.

Cheers,

    Juergen

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/