Subject: [ipfix] Editors for IPFIX drafts

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:44:29 +1200

Hello all:

Following the IPFIX meeting at the San Francisco IETF we asked for
volunteers to edit the IPFIX drafts.  The current list is:

 Applicability:  Tanja Zseby, Reinaldo Penno

 Architecture:  Ganesh Sadasivan, Nevil Brownlee

 Information Model: Paul Calato, Jeff Meyer, Juergen Quittek 

 Protocol:  Mark Fulmer, Paul Calato, Reinaldo Penno

At this stage we already have old (expired) versions of the
Architecture (-02.txt) and Data Model (-01.txt) drafts on the IPFIX
web page; would the editors of all four drafts please email me an initial
version of their new drafts to published as placeholders within the next 
few weeks.

After that, the editors will work on developing better versions of the
drafts which can be discussed on the IPFIX list and submitted by mid-June, 
i.e. in plenty of time for the Vienna IETF meeting in July.

Cheers, Nevil

PS: Good to see some real discussion on the list.  Lets concentrate on
    producing text the draft editors can use!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                   Director, Technology Development
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941     ITSS, The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland
http://www.auckland.ac.nz/

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: "M. ELK" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:16:02 +0000

Hi

i am interested in the work for IPFIX group as a netw operator ,
we are not programmer so have no knwoledge in XML format and we do not need 
to spend time to learn XML just to be able to read IPFIX doc .

So pls keep it in a human readable format  and XML format can go
to an annex .

Brgds

>From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
>To: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <[email-masked]>,   "'Nevil 
>Brownlee'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: [ipfix] Editors for IPFIX drafts
>Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 17:24:17 +0200
>
>Jeff,
>
>I do see a value in such a formal description. But there is a trafe-off.
>
>I also see a degradation of human readability. You loose means of
>structuring your document text when using XML, for example grouping
>attributes that are related. (Of course you could do so in XML, but it is
>much harder to find the heading "Port-related Attributes" in an XML 
>document,
>because headings cannot be well highlighted and numbering of headings is
>not well supported.
>
>Anyway, I like the idea of an XML encoding of the model, but I we should
>not go this way if we cannot find a good way of getting it hunam readable
>(maybe by applying formatting rules).
>
>An option would also be adding the XML code to the document as an appendix.
>
>    Juergen
>
>
>-- MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote on 28 April 2003 10:57 -0400:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>    My particular interest on working on the information model would
>>be on developing a more formal and standard way of describing the
>>information elements which are used in IPFIX communication.
>>
>>    The modelling of information elements should ideally be done
>>using a formal description language, so that tools can be constructed
>>which do not require humans to transcribe this information.
>>
>>    I would propose the use of XML-Schema to provide this formal
>>description.  Through the use of XSL processors, prose based descriptions
>>and tables can be produced if these are considered desireable.
>>
>>    NOTE: describing the information model formally does NOT mean
>>that encoding and transport for IPFIX need to change in any way.  It
>>simply means that rather than having as the base description of 
>>information
>>items some prose in a document, you instead have a machine readable
>>representation.
>>
>>
>>   As an example of a formal (but currently incomplete) information
>>model for IPFIX, see:
>>http://www.ipdr.org/documents/ipfix/ipfixService-20020902.xml
>>
>>   I would recommend making such a representation the normative form
>>of the IPFIX information model, much like SNMP MIBs.
>>
>>
>>   Please let me know if people see value in this exercise.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>   Jeff Meyer
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>From: Nevil Brownlee [mailto:[email-masked]]
>>>Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 8:44 PM
>>>To: [email-masked]
>>>Subject: [ipfix] Editors for IPFIX drafts
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Hello all:
>>>

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail