Subject: [ipfix] nFlow

From: Luca Deri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:55:56 +0200

Dear all,
I have decided to define a new flow format named nFlow (see 
http://www.nflow.org/) that extends the NetFlow format adding new 
features such as:
- support of both IPv4 and IPv6.
- compressed (RFC 1950, 1952) flow format for reducing network traffic.
- flow authentication, protection against forging, and non repudiation 
(RFC 1321).
- flow payload information.
- accurate ICMP access.
- packet sampling for easing probe scalability.
- performance (network and application) information.
- MPLS and VLAN tag info.

I have defined it mostly because NetFlow is not rich enough for ntop (a 
GPL passive network monitoring tool). Currently I have a GPL software 
Netflow+nFlow probe (http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html) and a collector 
available. I plan to make ntop nFlow-aware in the near future.

I would like to know whether:
- we could work together so that IPFIX and nFlow could merge (I am open 
to change it)
- I could show up at the next IETF meeting in Vienna and present nFlow

Your feedback is appreciated.

Regards, Luca

-- 
Luca Deri <[email-masked]>	http://luca.ntop.org/
Hacker: someone who loves to program and enjoys being
clever about it - Richard Stallman

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 12:06:18 +1200

> I have decided to define a new flow format named nFlow (see
- - - <snip> - - -
> - we could work together so that IPFIX and nFlow could merge (I am open

First, you're very welcome to contribute to the IPFIX WG.  I guess you
know that the group's work is documented in its mailing list archive, i.e.
http://ipfx.doit.wisc.edu/list/ipfix/archive/   You also need to read the
WG charter, which provides fairly tight limits on what the group can actually
work on.

At the last IETF meeting the WG reached consensus on using NetFlow v9 as
the starting point for the IPFIX protocol.  Now we're working on
a set of four new Internet Drafts which will document the complete IPIFIX
system as follows:

 Applicability:  Tanja Zseby, Reinaldo Penno
   Explains what IPFIX is about, and how it can be used,
   gives brief overview of other documents.
   [RFC 2721 is a reasonable example of an AS RFC]

 Architecture:  Ganesh Sadasivan, Nevil Brownlee
   Describes (in full detail) the IPFIX system, defines terms used,
   including exactly what we mean by an 'IPFIX flow.'

 Information Model: Paul Calato, Jeff Meyer, Juergen Quittek 
   Explains how IPFIX flow data is made up, i.e. what data elements
   may be part of a flow, what they mean, how they are represented,
   and how they are combined into a flow's data structure.

 Protocol:  Mark Fulmer, Paul Calato, Benoit Claise, Reinaldo Penno
   Specifies how IPFIX flow data and control information is 
   carried (via a congestion-aware transport protocol) from 
   IPFIX exporter to IPFIX collector.

Once the initial versions of these are published (real soon now ...),
you'll be able to decide where your interests fit - my guess is that
you'll want to contribute to the Information Model and Protocol drafts.
That means reading the drafts and commenting on them, and posting
paragraphs of text to replace or improve things in the drafts.

> - I could show up at the next IETF meeting in Vienna and present nFlow

No problem with that; we've often had short (~10-minute) presentations
on topics related to network measurement.  Please email me a paragraph
or two giving an outline of your talk.

Cheers, Nevil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                   Director, Technology Development
   Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941     ITSS, The University of Auckland
   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland
http://www.auckland.ac.nz/