Subject: [ipfix-protocol] Comments on open issues

From: Ganesh Sadasivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:37:42 -0700

Open Issues

     This section covers the open issues, still to be resolved/updated
in
     this draft:

     - The proposal on the table is to send a IPFIX Sync (this would be
     an Options Data Records) message periodically (periodicity is
     configurable), with the following information (aside the standard
     IPFix header)
             * Number of flow records sent (for each template?)
             * Packets and bytes sent (for each template?)
       Question: Per observation domain?

Ganesh- Yes.

       Question: Do we need a specific FlowSet ID?

Ganesh- Yes. So that it may be easily identified by the collector.

     - Template don't need lifetimes with connection oriented protocol.
     We guess this is the consensus from the Working Group.

Ganesh- Agreed. But are we going to talk about an less reliable
transport also?

     - No periodic retransmission of templates is needed, with a
reliable
     transport protocol.

Ganesh- Agreed.But are we going to talk about an less reliable transport
also?

     Remark: the template management will vary with TCP, SCTP, etcâ¦
     Must have both sections updated: transport updated and template
     management sections (BTW, this is the same for the failover
     section).

     - There seems to be a consensus that having a length field in the
     export packet header.
     Related question: what about the count field then in the NetFlow
     version 9 header? But no consensus yet. So no consensus whether the

     current count should simply be replaced by the length or the length

     field be added.

Ganesh- I would say to replace the count by length.

     - Sub-second timestamps

Ganesh-  There should be a base line granularity (upto say 100 msec or
so) which is
the minimal and a fine grained  time which can upto nano or pico- second
level.

Thanks
Ganesh

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/