Subject: [ipfix] ispmon BOF

From: Gianluca Iannaccone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:48:52 -0700

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this email]

please find attached the agenda and description of the 
new BOF on Monitoring Infrastructure Deployment. 

thanks,
gianluca

----------------------------------------------------------
Monitoring Infrastructure Deployment BOF (ispmon)

Thursday, July 17 at 1530-1730
===============================

CHAIR:	Gianluca Iannaccone <[email-masked]>

AGENDA

  5 min - Agenda Bashing    
 15 min - Presentation: draft-bhattacharyya-monitoring-deployment-00
 10 min - Presentation: Sprint's Continuous Monitoring (CMON) project 
 15 min - Scope and candidate charter for Working group
 15 min - Next steps

MAILING LIST

 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: [email-masked], "subscribe" in body
 Archive: http://opt.ietf.org/lists/ispmon

DESCRIPTION 

Various types of measurement data need to be collected to support 
monitoring applications.  We classified them in two broad categories: 
(i) aggregate information that need to be collected at coarse time-scales 
and reported on a regular basis (e.g. SNMP, flows, routing tables) ; 
(ii) packet-level traces to analyze and understand a specific phenomenon.

There are a number of implementation challenges in order to capture,
process, summarize and export data at the required level of granularity
at the time that it is needed. Some of these problems are being
addressed in different IETF working groups whereas some others have 
not been.

The goal of this BOF is to discuss whether a new working group is needed 
to undertake the following activities: (i) define a framework for
monitoring needed to support day-to-day operations in IP networks, (ii)
identify existing and on-going efforts in the IETF on various aspects of
the framework and ensure that this work guarantees inter-operability
among ISPs, and (iii) provide clear guidelines to equipment vendors on
what infrastructure is needed to support monitoring in ISP networks.

A charter for the new working group could address (but not be limited to)
the following aspects: 

 .  provide BCP documents on how to instrument monitoring systems in 
    large-scale provider networks. 

 .  describe known-to-work implementations and identify open issues. 

 .  specify components of an operational monitoring infrastructure
    in particular regarding aspects not addressed in other IETF WGs 
    (e.g., storage, aging and analysis of collected data, control 
    plane functionality).

 .  specify ways for ISPs to share monitoring data. 

 .  make recommendations to other working groups standardizing different
    elements of monitoring, e.g., IPPM, IPFIX and PSAMP, INCH, IDWG, etc.,

READING LIST

 . draft-bhattacharyya-monitoring-deployment-00.txt
 . draft-bhattacharyya-monitoring-sprint-01.txt
 . draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-10.txt
 . draft-ietf-psamp-framework-03.txt
 . draft-ietf-idwg-requirements-10.txt
 . draft-ietf-inch-iodef-01.txt 
 . RFC2330: Framework for IP Performance Metrics 
 
RELATED WGs

 IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)
 http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipfix-charter.html

 Packet Sampling (psamp)
 http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/psamp-charter.html
 
 IP Performance Metrics (ippm)
 http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ippm-charter.html

 Intrusion Detection Exchange Format (idwg)
 http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idwg-charter.html

 Extended Incident Handling (inch)
 http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/inch-charter.html

----------------------------------------------------------
Gianluca Iannaccone      '         [email-masked]
Sprint ATL               '           tel +1 (650) 375-4198
1 Adrian Court           '           fax +1 (650) 375-4079
Burlingame, CA 94010     '    www.sprintlabs.com/~gianluca

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/