Subject: [ipfix] Ipfix Protocol open items

From: "Reinaldo Penno" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:41:47 -0700

Hello,

Have we zeroed in a certain transport protocol? TCP, SCTP-PR or something
else?

I need to write something to explain how Netflow runs over TCP, but it seems
to me somewhat of a lower priority if this is not going to be the default
protocol. We should focus on explaning how this should work on the "choosen
one".

There were also several open items like packet length (size of field, does
it replaces the count header, etc, etc).
Template management, etc
Periodic issue of counts per record/template/etc to ensure we know how many
records we lost.

It seems to me one of those discussions that die out and we never reach a
conclusion. We should have a new version of the protocol draft soon. Can we
start reaally reaching a consensus on these things?

I'll talk offline with the other editors and send a list of open issue so we
can tackle them on by one.

Regards,

Reinaldo

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 18:13:57 +0100

Reinaldo Penno wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> Have we zeroed in a certain transport protocol? TCP, SCTP-PR or 
> something else?
> 
> I need to write something to explain how Netflow runs over TCP, but it 
> seems to me somewhat of a lower priority if this is not going to be the 
> default protocol. We should focus on explaning how this should work on 
> the "choosen one".

I think that perhaps the question should be put another way. There are
WG members who propose SCTP-PR as the default, and SCTP-PR has
advantage because of its better flexibility in coping with congestion.

So the real question is whether there are WG members who think that
the default should be TCP. If no group comes forward, then we have
our answer. If there is support then we need to perform a detailed
analysis of the relative merits of the two protocols.

Stewart

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/