Subject: RE: [ipfix] Congestion management

From: "Carter Bullard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:12:07 -0400

Hey Peter,
   The default transport has to have some congestion awareness,
and given the IESG recent track record, that doesn't mean
integrated congestion control, just awareness.  There is no
requirement that any other transport bindings must support
congestion awareness.

   You still work for Cisco, right?  So, maybe you can
tell us when you guys will be able to demonstrate Netflow over
PR-SCTP in an existing router.  That really should be the
litmus test for getting a binding in the IPFIX protocol.
Hopefully without having to put in a specific blade to
enable it.

Carter

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 00:10:12 +0200

> integrated congestion control, just awareness.

not bleedin' likely

---

From: Peter Lei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:45:27 -0500

> requirement that any other transport bindings must support

Umm.... are you sure about that?!  Randy's (Bush) previous
email stated "congestion-friendly transport is mandatory to
implement and the default."  In order to be "friendly" the
transport has to do something to mitigate congestion, not
just be "aware" that it's happening...