Subject: [ipfix] [issue] INFO-23 Explicit IP version in message

From: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:16:43 -0800

Issue: INFO-23  Explicit IP version in message
Descriptin:
  Should IP version be explicit in the flow or implied by the type of 
  address element passed?  For now it will remain implicit.  Although
  could introduce a byte or short information element called ipVersion,
  which would have either 4 or 6 as meaningful values.
original e-mail:
  http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/1920.html
<http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/1920.html>

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:27:13 +0000

>   http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/1920.html

This is an issue of future proofing.

If the IETF ever introduced IPv7 that used IPv6 address we could
figure that out from the datagrams because they are all self
describing, but ipfix would report the wrong thing.

Therefore we should have an IP version IE.

Stewart

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/