Subject: [ipfix] [issue] need for MTU size in protocol-01

From: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:29:25 -0500

Issue:  section 5.2.3.1 talks about concerns around IP fragmentation, but
these should not be issues unless UDP is used.  It may be recommended if *DP
is to be used, that MTU size SHOULD be considered.  But for SCTP and TCP,
this doesn't seem like a useful constraint.
 
Suggested wording:
 
   In situations where the underlying protocol may not directly address
messages greater than MTU size, such as UDP,
implementations MAY chose to restrict Export Packets to a size equal to or
less than the local MTU size.  In situations where multiple hops are taking
place, both SCTP and TCP automatically manage concerns around IP
fragmentation and since congestion aware protocols MUST be used, IP
fragmentation should not be an issue.
 
-- Jeff
http://www.inetpix.com/dare <http://www.inetpix.com/dare>