Subject: [ipfix] [issue] INFO-30 Normative status of section 6 vs. Appendix A

From: "Jeff Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:12:15 -0800

The info-02 draft states this as an open issue.  It is time to close it.

Providing a formal specification reusing industry standard XML has benefits 
outlined in section 7. The formal specificaiton represent a departure from 
much of the RFC work, with the notable exception of activities like SNMP 
which adopted the ASN.1 based MIBs as a means of formals specification.  A 
current example not following any formal model today is work w/in Diameter, 
or previously work done in RADIUS.

Hence the recommendation is to make Appendix A normative.

Alternatively one could argue that to make the lowest possible barrier to 
extension by others to simply define the text base components, one could 
manually transcribe this to XML-Schema as a manual process following the 
example in appendix A.

-- Jeff

_________________________________________________________________
Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime 
features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:32:41 +0000

Jeff Meyer wrote:
> Providing a formal specification reusing industry standard XML has 
> benefits outlined in section 7. The formal specificaiton represent a 
> departure from much of the RFC work, with the notable exception of 
> activities like SNMP which adopted the ASN.1 based MIBs as a means of 
> formals specification.  A current example not following any formal model 
> today is work w/in Diameter, or previously work done in RADIUS.
> 

I disagree and ask the WG chairs to check WG concensus.

Stewart

> Alternatively one could argue that to make the lowest possible barrier 
> to extension by others to simply define the text base components, one 
> could manually transcribe this to XML-Schema as a manual process 
> following the example in appendix A.
> 
> -- Jeff
> 
> Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with 
> prime features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1
> 
> 
> --