Subject: [ipfix] IPFIX-info Update

From: "Jeff Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:20:43 -0800

Hi,

  Thanks for the responses to the various [issue] items related to IPFIX.

  I am in the process of updating this draft to coincide with comments to 
date.

  One major change is related to the alternate formal defintion format 
specified by Juergen.  Another change is trying to apply more automation to 
the construction of the RFC2629 compliant source for the info-model.  In 
particular I've been developing XSL translation pages to post process the 
RFC2629 document and automatically fill in body areas which are formally 
defined.  This is in contrast to some of the cut/paste work which was 
necessary in earlier revisions.

  Currently section 6 and appendix A are automatically populated from the 
common (non-normative) XML information model, based on Juergen's proposal.

  Juergen's proposal to also populate section 4 from the formal model also 
makes sense, but I haven't yet created this XSL mapping file.

  The expectation would be that the base RFC2629 compliant draft be written 
using special markup for the sections which are machine generated (e.g. 
<transform-schema/> or <include-schema/>) and the XSL would alter this 
document with the appropriate form of content), then churning the whole 
thing through the HTML/nroff style generator at Marshall Rose's site 
(http://xml.resource.org) would produce the submittable draft.

  The other area of change is the set of elements (fields) defined in the 
info model itself.  I'm awaiting any updates from Stewart 
(http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/2391.html) or others on updates to the 
base content of the info model.

  Attached are the two updated stylesheets for generating the full 
draft/RFC.

  I'll continue working on this myself, but if there are concrete 
contributions (e.g. Stylesheets or new Information Element content) that 
would help speed things up.

Regards,

  Jeff Meyer

P.S.  I will not be able to go to Korea for the next IETF meeting.

_________________________________________________________________
Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up 
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

---

From: Thomas Dietz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:17:53 +0100

Hello,

to follow up what Jeff does I elaborated Jeffs transformation scripts
a little bit further. Now there are 3 transformation scripts (xslt),
the schema for the info model (xsd) and the info model itself (xml).

The transformation scripts do the following:

postProcessInfoModel-0301.xsl (was info_post_process_03.xsl)

   loads the next two scripts and does the overall processing.

schema2rfc2629-0300.xsl

   produces the sections or part of the sections "data types" and
   "field properties" out of the info model schema infomodelschema-0300.xsd.

infomodel2rfc2629-0301.xsl (was infomodel_to_rfc2629.xsl)

   produces the section "field definitions" out of the info model
   document infomodel-0300.xml.

I attached again the preliminary info model schema and info model
document (infomodelschema-0300.xsd and infomodel.xml) but note that they
are far from complete. As Jeff already state we still wait for some
input and are working on the completion.

I put a version number at the end of each file with the format xxyy
where xx is the draft version for which the files are intended and yy
is a revision number to keep track of revisions. You may keep this
scheme or just forget about it. It was just for my convenience.

Regards,

Thomas Dietz

-- 
Thomas Dietz
Network Laboratories               Phone:  +49/(0)6221/90511-28
NEC Europe Ltd.                    E-mail: [email-masked]
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36
69115 Heidelberg, Germany