Subject: [ipfix-protocol] PROTO-13: How to distinguish IETF field IDs from vendor field IDs?

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:17:23 +0200

Dear all,

13. PROTO-13: How to distinguish IETF field IDs from vendor field IDs 
       - Specify method for detecting the difference in section 8. 
       - Add a note that there is a common ID space for for field types
         used in data templates and option templates 
       - (Editorial) make clear that Section 8.2 also applies to option

Here is a new section 8.2 proposal that would answer the issue above.

8.2   Field Type Format 
            
   Vendors need the ability to define proprietary Information Elements, 
   because, for example, they are delivering pre-standards product, or 
   the Information Element is in some way commercially sensitive. This 
   section describes the Field Type format for both IETF specified 
   Information Elements [IPFIX-INFO] and Vendor Specified Information 
   Elements, both the Template FlowSet and the Option Template FlowSet. 
 
   The Field Ids used to identify Information Elements are represented 
   by the Field Type. When the Enterprise Field Type bit is set to 0, 
   the corresponding Field Type will report an IETF specified 
   Information Elements. When the Enterprise Field Type bit is set to 
   1, the corresponding Field Type will report a Vendor Specified 
   Information Elements.      
        
        0                   1                   2                   3  
        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1  
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 
       |E|      Field Type             |        Field Length           |  
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  
       |                      Enterprise Number                        |  
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+  
      
        Fig X: Field Type  
      
        Where: 
      
       E  
          Enterprise Field Type. If this bit is zero, the Field Type  
          identifies an IETF specified Information Element, and the  
          four octet Enterprise Number field MUST NOT be present. If  
          this bit is one, the Field Type identifies a Vendor Specified  
          Information Element, and the Enterprise Number filed MUST be  
          present. This definition is backwards compatible with  
          Netflow v9 [NF RFC]  
      
      Field Type  
         A numeric value that represents the type of the field. Refer    
         to [IPFIX-INFO].  
    
      Field Length  
         The length of the corresponding Field Type, in bytes. Refer    
         to [IPFIX-INFO].  
    
      Enterprise Number  
         IANA enterprise number [PEN] of the authority defining the  
         field type in this template record. 

Any feedback?

Regards, Stewart and Benoit.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:27:27 +0200

Hi,

The cut and pasted from word into my email screwed up the formatting.
Here is the same info as an attachment.

Note: if the proposal is fine, I will have to insert the "E" bit in all 
the packet format.

Regards, Benoit.

>         used in data templates and option templates       - 
> (Editorial) make clear that Section 8.2 also applies to option
>
> 8.2   Field Type Format              Vendors need the ability to 
> define proprietary Information Elements,   because, for example, they 
> are delivering pre-standards product, or   the Information Element is 
> in some way commercially sensitive. This   section describes the Field 
> Type format for both IETF specified   Information Elements 
> [IPFIX-INFO] and Vendor Specified Information   Elements, both the 
> Template FlowSet and the Option Template FlowSet.
> Information Elements.                    0                   
> 1                   2                   3         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1        
>       |                      Enterprise Number                        
> |        
>             Fig X: Field Type              Where:            E  
>          this bit is one, the Field Type identifies a Vendor 
> Specified           Information Element, and the Enterprise Number 
> filed MUST be           present. This definition is backwards 
> compatible with           Netflow v9 [NF RFC]            Field Type  
>         A numeric value that represents the type of the field. 
> Refer            to [IPFIX-INFO].          Field Length          The 
> length of the corresponding Field Type, in bytes. Refer            to 
> [IPFIX-INFO].          Enterprise Number          IANA enterprise 
> number [PEN] of the authority defining the          field type in this 
> template record.
>
> Any feedback?
>

   PROTO-13: How to distinguish IETF field IDs from vendor field IDs 
       - Specify method for detecting the difference in section 8. 
       - Add a note that there is a common ID space for for field types 
   used in 
         data templates and option templates 
       - (Editorial) make clear that Section 8.2 also applies to option 
   templates 

.
.
.

 8.2 
     Field Type Format 

      

        
        0                   1                   2                   3  
      
        Fig X: Field Type  
      
        Where: 
      
       E  
      
      Field Type  
    
      Field Length  
    
      Enterprise Number