Subject: [ipfix-protocol] PROTO-28: Packet Sampling

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:18:43 +0200

Dear all,

   PROTO-28: Packet Sampling.  This is mentioned in both the
   Requirements I-D and the AS I-D.  We need to decide how it should be
   covered in the IPFIX drafts.

The charter also mentions the notion of sampling: "Consider the notion 
of IP flow information export based upon
  packet sampling."

As this work in progress in PSAMP, there is no need to duplicate the 
effort and the text.
How would you feel about referring to PSAMP for any packet sampling 
related work.

What about a text in IPFIX protocol draft that would express something like:

    Packet Sampling:
          The IFPIX protocol specifications supports packet sampling.
          The methods of taking packet samples and are out of the scope
    of this specification

Note that the architecture draft should also mention something about it.
Any feedback?

Regards, Benoit.