Subject: [ipfix-protocol] IPFIX PROTO-26: New IANA text + improved IANA text for the architecture draft.

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:24:45 +0200

Dear all,

 From the freshly posted IPFIX architecture draft, I used the IANA 
section as a starting point.
I modified it a little bit and inserted the new section for the next 
version of the IPFIX protocol draft.
I think the changes below must also be applied to the IPFIX architecture 
draft.

Modifications:
- The Template Number can change but the Set ID is fixed. You must 
replace the Template ID but the Set ID
- Capitalized Information Elements and IPFIX Message
- "Changes in IPFIX Field Type will be administered by IANA" -> "New 
assignments for IPFIX Field Types will be administered by IANA"
- I added "on first come first serve basis [RFC 2434] ", as specified in 
RFC 2434
- I change "subject to Expert Review" to "subject to Expert Review [RFC 
2434]"
- I added "The group of experts must double check the Information 
Elements definitions for completeness, accuracy and redundancy with 
already defined Informations Elements."
- I added "The IANA assignments for IPFIX Field Types will range from 
128 to 32767; the values below 128 are reserved or assigned already; the 
values ranging from 32768 to 65535 are allocated for private use by 
vendors."

New proposed section:

16. IANA Considerations

The IPFIX Protocol, as set out in this document, has two sets of 
assigned numbers. Considerations for assigning them are discussed in 
this section, using the example policies as set out in the "Guidelines 
for IANA Considerations" document IANA-RFC [RFC2434].

16.1 Numbers used in the Protocol

IPFIX Messages use two fields with assigned values. These are the IPFIX 
Version Number, indicating which version of the IPFIX Protocol was used 
to export an IPFIX Message, and the IPFIX Set ID, indicating the type 
for each set of information within an IPFIX Message.

Changes in either IPFIX Version Number or IPFIX Set ID assignments 
require an IETF Consensus, i.e. they are to be made via RFCs approved by 
the IESG.

16.2 Numbers used in the Information Model

Fields of the IPFIX protocol carry information about traffic 
measurement. They are modeled as elements of the IPFIX information model 
[IPFIX-INFO]. Each Information Element describes a field which may 
appear in an IPFIX Message. Within an IPFIX Message the field type is 
indicated by its Field Type.

New assignments for IPFIX Field Types will be administered by IANA, on 
First Come First Serve basis [RFC 2434] , subject to Expert Review [RFC 
2434], i.e. review by one of a group of experts designated by an IETF 
Operations and Management Area Director. The group of experts must 
double check the Information Elements definitions for completeness, 
accuracy and redundancy with already defined Informations Elements. 
Those experts will initially be drawn from the Working Group Chairs and 
document editors of the IPFIX and PSAMP Working Groups. The IANA 
assignments for IPFIX Field Types will range from 128 to 32767; the 
values below 128 are reserved or assigned already; the values ranging 
from 32768 to 65535 are allocated for private use by vendors.

[RFC2434] Alvestrand, H. and T. Narten, "Guidelines for Writing an IANA
Considerations Section in RFCs", RFC 2434, October 1998.

As always, feedback?

Regards, Benoit.