Subject: [ipfix-protocol] how to distinguish key and non-key fields? proposal

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:07:02 +0200

Dear all,

From RFC3917
   "But in any case, a collecting process must be able to clearly identify, for
   each received flow record, which set of properties was used for
   distinguishing this flow from other ones."

Here is a proposal: send an option template record composed of 3 information elements
   - scope = data template ID
   - ipfixoption = FLOW-KEY (*)
   - keyslist (**)

(*) ipfixoption is defined in section 8 "Specific Reporting 
Requirements" of draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-05.txt. We would simply need a new 
value. 

(**) a bitmap information element. That would a special information 
element that would contain a "1" at the positions of the flow keys. If 
flow keys are in position 3, 5, 6: it would be 00101100000000000. That 
could even be a variable length information element, if needed. 

This feature should be inserted in the IPFIX protocol draft as a MAY, 
as a new subsection of section 8 "Specific Reporting Requirements"
If implemented, "The Template Record SHOULD be sent before the 
associated Option Template Record, and before and Flow Data Records. In 
case of unreliable transport protocol, the Template Record and Option 
Template Record SHOULD be sent in the same Export Packet"

We should also define ipfixoption and keyslist in [IPFIX-INFO].

Any feedback?

Regards, Benoit.

--
Help        mailto:[email-masked] and say "help" in message body
Unsubscribe mailto:[email-masked] and say
"unsubscribe ipfix" in message body
Archive     http://ipfix.doit.wisc.edu/archive/

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:08:38 +0200

Dear all,

Here is the proposed text, based on the next section 8, as just proposed 
on the email alias.

    *8.3 The Flow Keys Option Template *

    *The Flow Keys Option Template specifies the flow keys used by the*
    *Metering Process for the Template ID definition.*
    *It contains the following Information Elements [IPFIX-INFO]:*

    * ipfixOption The value is FLOW_KEY*
    * keyList Bitmap with the positions of the flow keys*
    * in the template*
    * time The time at which the record was generated *
    **
    *The Scope Field specified in the Option Template Record is the
    Template ID *
    *with which the flow keys are associated.*

*

*Note that the ipfixOption, keyList, and time are not yet specified in [IPFIX-INFO]

Regards, Benoit.

> Requirements" of draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-05.txt. We would simply 
> need a new value.
> associated Option Template Record, and before and Flow Data Records. 
> In case of unreliable transport protocol, the Template Record and 
> Option Template Record SHOULD be sent in the same Export Packet"
>