Subject: [IPFIX] Re: info on options template

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:43:49 +0000

Bhuvaneswari,

> In case I am to introduce my own template, I need information if I have 
> to classify it as options template or else a template?

If you're exporting information about the data you're monitoring, then 
aim for a regular template.

However, if you're exporting extra information about the monitoring 
system (rather than the monitored data) then you may want to use options.

Then eg, you can use options to report "information about interface N" 
with N = 1, 2, 3... (or whatever interface numbers your system uses).

A smart collector could then connect the interface number from your flow 
data (eg, flow was observed on interface 3) to the options information 
reported about that interface (which eg could be the description and 
location of that interface).

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:43:49 +0000

Bhuvaneswari,