Subject: [IPFIX] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5473 (2878)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 06:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5473,
"Reducing Redundancy in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) and Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Reports".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5473&eid=2878

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>

Section: A.2

Original Text
-------------
   In this example, using IPFIX to export the measurement data for each
   received packet, 38 bytes have to be transferred (sourceAddressV4=4,
   destinationAddressV4=4, classOfServiceV4=1, protocolIdentifier=1,
   sourceTransportPort=2, destinationTransportPort=2,
   observationTimeMilliseconds=8, digestHashValue=8, ipTotalLength=8).
   Without considering the IPFIX protocol overhead, a Flow of 1000
   packets produces 38000 bytes of measurement data.  Using the proposed
   optimization, each packet produces an export of only 28 bytes
   (observationTimeMilliseconds=8, digestHashValue=8, ipTotalLength=8,
   commonPropertiesID=4).  The export of the Flow information produces
   18 bytes (sourceAddressV4=4, destinationAddressV4=4,
   classOfServiceV4=1, protocolIdentifier=1, sourceTransportPort=2,
   destinationTransportPort=2, commonPropertiesID=4).  For a Flow of
   1000 packets, this sums to 28018 bytes.  This is a decrease of more
   than 26 percent.

Corrected Text
--------------
   In this example, using IPFIX to export the measurement data for each
   received packet, 38 bytes have to be transferred (sourceIPv4Address=4,
   destinationIPv4Address=4, ipClassOfService=1, protocolIdentifier=1,
   sourceTransportPort=2, destinationTransportPort=2,
   observationTimeMilliseconds=8, digestHashValue=8, ipTotalLength=8).
   Without considering the IPFIX protocol overhead, a Flow of 1000
   packets produces 38000 bytes of measurement data.  Using the proposed
   optimization, each packet produces an export of only 28 bytes
   (observationTimeMilliseconds=8, digestHashValue=8, ipTotalLength=8,
   commonPropertiesID=4).  The export of the Flow information produces
   18 bytes (sourceIPv4Address=4, destinationIPv4Address=4,
   ipClassOfService=1, protocolIdentifier=1, sourceTransportPort=2,
   destinationTransportPort=2, commonPropertiesID=4).  For a Flow of
   1000 packets, this sums to 28018 bytes.  This is a decrease of more
   than 26 percent.

Notes
-----
s/sourceAddressV4/sourceIPv4Address/
s/destinationAddressV4/destinationIPv4Address/
s/classOfServiceV4=1/ipClassOfService/

- twice each.

Names are per IANA's IPFIX registry.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5473 (draft-ietf-ipfix-reducing-redundancy-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Reducing Redundancy in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) and Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Reports
Publication Date    : March 2009
Author(s)           : E. Boschi, L. Mark, B. Claise
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : IP Flow Information Export
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG