Subject: [IPFIX] proposal for IPFIX charter update

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 04:57:50 +0000

Dear all,

At our session in Quebec we discussed candidates
for new IPFIX work items. Based on this discussion,
Nevil and I drafted an update of our charter that
you can find below.

Please have a look at it and send us your comments.

Thanks,

    Juergen

IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)

Description of Working Group

The IPFIX working group has specified the information model (to describe
IP flows) and the IPFIX protocol (to transfer IP flow data from IPFIX
exporters to collectors). Several implementers have already built
applications using the IPFIX protocol. As a result of a series of IPFIX
interoperability testing events the WG has produced guidelines for IPFIX
implementation and testing as well as recommendations for handling
special cases such as bidirectional flow reporting and reducing
redundancy in flow records.

The IPFIX WG has developed a mediation framework, that defines IPFIX
mediators for processing flow records for various purposes including
aggregation, anonymization, etc. For configuring IPFIX devices, a YANG
module has been developed.

1. Having a solid standardized base for IPFIX deployment and operation
and several exiting implementations, the IPFIX WG will revisit the IPFIX
protocol specifications (RFC 5101) and the IPFIX information element
specification (RFC 5102) in order to advance them to draft standard.

2. For giving guidelines to developers of new IPFIX information
elements and for better defining the process of registering new
information elements at IANA the IPFIX WG will create an information
element developers guideline document.

3. The export of IPFIX flow records from IPFIX mediators introduces a
set of potential issues at the protocol level, such as the loss of
information on the original exporter, loss of base time information,
loss of original options template information, etc. The IPFIX WG will
define common ways to deal with these issues, by specifying guidelines
for the use of the IPFIX protocol on IPFIX mediators.

4. For supporting the aggregation of flow records at IPFIX mediators
the IPFIX WG will define how to export aggregated flow information using
IPFIX. An aggregated flow is essentially an IPFIX flow representing
packets from multiple original Flows sharing some set of common properties.

5. The IPFIX WG will investigate the use of the IPFIX protocol for
exporting
MIB objects, avoiding the need to define new IPFIX information elements
for existing management information base objects that are already fully
specified. This method requires the specification of new template set
and options template sets to allow the export of MIB objects along
with IPFIX information elements.

6. The IPFIX MIB module (RFC 5815) defined a way to register packet
selector functions at IANA. The WG agreed that another method would
be preferable that requires a minor change of RFC 5815. The IPFIX WG
will produce a new version of RFC 5815 with small modifications of
the IANA actions and DESCRIPTION clauses in the the MIB modules.

Oct 2011    Publish draft on guidelines for IE doctors
Oct 2011    Publish draft on IPFIX use at mediators
Oct 2011    Publish draft on intermediate aggregation
Oct 2011    Publish draft on exporting MIB objects
Oct 2011    Publish draft on data link IEs
Dec 2011    Publish draft revising RFC 5101
Dec 2011    Publish draft revising RFC 5102

Apr 2012    Submit guidelines for IE doctors for publication as
Informational BCP RFC
Apr 2012    Submit draft on IPFIX use at mediators for publication as
Standards track RFC
Apr 2012    Submit draft on intermediate aggregation for publication as
Standards track RFC
Apr 2012    Submit draft on data link IEs for publication as Standards
track RFC
Apr 2012    Submit draft revising RFC 5101 for publication as Standards
track RFC
Apr 2012    Submit draft revising RFC 5102 for publication as Standards
track RFC
Sep 2012    Submit draft on exporting MIB objects for publication as
Standards track RFC

---

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:34:59 +0200

hi, Juergen, all,

This charter looks good.

Best regards,

Brian

On Aug 29, 2011, at 6:57 AM, Juergen Quittek wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:20:23 +0200

Editorial comments: 

s/exiting implementations/existing implementations/
s/For giving guidelines/In order to provide guidelines/
s/For supporting the aggregation/In order to support the aggregation/
s/ the the MIB modules/the MIB modules/
s/draft/Internet-Draft/ (several times in the milestones)

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Juergen Quittek
> Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 7:58 AM
> To: IETF IPFIX Working Group
> Subject: [IPFIX] proposal for IPFIX charter update
> 
> Dear all,
>