Subject: [IPFIX] Flow Selection Techniques draft

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 01:39:23 -0800

Hi all:

The Flow Selection Techniques discussed in Quebec (IETF 81) last year
(-07) generated considerable discussion.  Versions -08 and -09 include
many changes, which I believe greatly improve the draft.

However, since Quebec there's been very little discussion of this
draft.  We're at the point where I'd like to get it submitted; please
would some of you have a look at the changes, and send some comments
to the list [easiest way to see them is to use the diff2 view of
version -08].

Also, there was some earlier discussion of IPR issues for this draft.
Nick Duffield pointed out that "PSAMP addressed this issue by making all
the selection methods optional."  The way I read the draft, it has a
long list of selection algorithms, and it's up to an implementor to
choose which to implement, however I didn't spot any definite statement
that all of them are optional.  I'd like to hear comments about this
too - do we feel that it's OK as it is, or should there be a more
definite statement on this?

Cheers, Nevil

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zeala