Subject: [IPFIX] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6313 (3232)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 04:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6313,
"Export of Structured Data in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6313&eid=3232

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>

Section: 4.5.3

Original Text
-------------
   In the exceptional case of zero instances in the
   subTemplateMultiList, no data is encoded, only the Semantic field and
   Template ID field(s), and the Data Record Length field is set to
   zero.

Corrected Text
--------------
   In the exceptional case of zero instances in the
   subTemplateMultiList, no data is encoded, only the Semantic field and
   Template ID field(s), and the Data Records Length field is set to
   four.

Notes
-----
s/zero/four/ && s/Record/Records/

- because the Data Record Length field includes two bytes for the Template ID and two bytes for the Data Records Length field itself, as specified on page 23:

   Data Records Length

      This is the total length of the Data Records encoding for the
      Template ID previously specified, including the two bytes for the
      Template ID and the two bytes for the Data Records Length field
      itself.

Therefore, a Data Records Length < 4 bytes is invalid. This should be noted in the "Data Records Length" definition.

Also note the pluralisation of "Records" in the definition.

Kudos to Manish Patil, [email-masked]

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6313 (draft-ietf-ipfix-structured-data-06)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Export of Structured Data in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)
Publication Date    : July 2011
Author(s)           : B. Claise, G. Dhandapani, P. Aitken, S. Yates
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : IP Flow Information Export
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG