Subject: [IPFIX] DRAFT minutes for Vancouver meeting

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 05:27:15 +1200

Hi all:

Here are my DRAFT minutes for yesterday's meeting.  Please email me
any corrections, extra detail, etc.

Cheers, Nevil

DRAFT-00 Minutes of the IPFIX meeting at IETF 84 in Vancouver
About 34 people present
Scribes: Chris Innacio
Meeting chair: Nevil Brownlee

Nevil opened the meeting, pointing out that
  - IPFIX MIB is now RFC 6515.
  - PSAMP MIB has been approved, that will clear IPFIX Config Model
  - Flow Selection draft authors working on -12 version

Brian Trammell commented on the IPFIX Aggregation Draft. He will
publish a new version following the latest review, then Nevil will
submit its write-up.

Paul Aitken presented (via Meetecho) the Link Layer IEs draft.
One open issue: sectionOfset.  Discussion focussed on the problem
of having multiple offset IEs in an export record, and the need
to have an ofset reference base.  Paul will add more text explaining
this.  WGLC after next version.

Paul presented the MIB Variable Export draft.  This is the -00
version, it has 20 open issues.  He'll continue to work on them.

Brian presented the 'IE-Doctors' draft.  This has completed IETF LC,
drawing many useful comments, these will be incorporated in a new
version.  It has two open issues:
- Enterprise-Specific IEs, i.e. how to transition an IE from ES
     into the IE Registry.  Two approaches were presented (see
     slides), no clear consensus was reached - discussion will
     continue on the list.
- Deprecating an IE
     Consensus that 'Deprecated, SHOULD NOT be used' is enough.
New version when when the ES issue is resolved, than back to our AD.

Brian
    We need to discuss this in more detail on the list.

Brian presented our 5101bis draft.
- The changes discussed in Paris have been made, there is
     a little more editing work to do
- We need to do some more testing, to make sure that all the
     features described in the document do interoperate properly
   . IPFIX implementers will try to arange this in Atlanta,
       during IETF-85
Aiming for WGLC after Atlanta.

Brian presented our 5102bis draft.
- The IANA IE Registry is now the canonical source of information
     about IEs.  The registry can still use 5102 as a reference
- 5102 will have the RFC Editor note ("Obsoleted by ...), pointing
     readers to the 5102bis RFC
We will run the WG LC for this in paralell with that for 5101bis.

Brian presented our Mediation Protocol draft.
- This has been completely reorganised, it has many open issues
- We need reviews for this.  Please read it and post to the list!
Aim for WGLC after Atlanta.

Paul Aitken presented his 'Unobserved Fields' draft.
- Read by at least four people in the room, clearly this
     would provide a useful feature
- Could - one day - become a WG item
Needs more discussion on the list.

Hendrik Scholtz presented his 'VoIP Information elements' drafts.
- These cover 'VoIP performance, and 'audio quality.'
- Two open issues
- The IEs here are for metrics defined in other WGs,
     These drafts cover how that information is transported using
     IPFIX
The authors will develop the drafts further before Atlanta.

Chris Innacio presented his "XML Enterprise Registry' draft.
- Adresses the question "what do you need to describe your
     Enterprise IEs?
- Considerable interest, this solves a real problem
Comments on the list are encouraged.

Discussion of "how should we handle conflicts between IE
registration requests?"
- At present, IANA need AD agreement to allocate code points
     for IEs described in a draft
- Barry Leiba is working on updates to "IANA Considerations
     Guidelines" (5622bis)
Nevil will discuss this issue with him.

The IPFIX Milestones were discussed, Nevil will update them.

The meeting finished at 1445.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 23:30:14 +0100

Nevil,

> Nevil will discuss this issue with him.

It's 5226-bis: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis.

P.