Subject: [IPFIX] RFC 2026 versus RFC6410: progressing a document

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:11:10 +0200

Dear all,

And I'm trying to compare the conditions to progress a document in RFC 
2026 and 6410

RFC 2026:

    The requirement for at least two independent and interoperable
    implementations applies to all of the options and features of the
    specification.In cases in which one or more options or features
    have not been demonstrated in at least two interoperable
    implementations, the specification may advance to the Draft Standard
    level only if those options or features are removed.

RFC 6410

    The IESG, in an IETF-wide Last Call of at least four weeks, confirms
    that a document advances from Proposed Standard to Internet Standard.
    The request for reclassification is sent to the IESG along with an
    explanation of how the criteria have been met.  The criteria are:

    (1) There are at least two independent interoperating implementations
        with widespread deployment and successful operational experience.

     (2) There are no errata against the specification that would cause a
        new implementation to fail to interoperate with deployed ones.

    (3) There are no unused features in the specification that greatly
        increase implementation complexity.

    (4) If the technology required to implement the specification
        requires patented or otherwise controlled technology, then the
        set of implementations must demonstrate at least two independent,
        separate and successful uses of the licensing process.

After confirmation from the IESG, we don't need to test _every single 
_feature from the specifications to progress the draft.
However, the 4 points above must be respected.

Regards, Benoit