Subject: [IPFIX] revising IPFIX IES 281 and 282

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 20:29:56 +0100

Dear experts,

I propose to request that IANA modify IEs 281 and 282 to remove "NAT64" 
from their descriptions, to make them generic post-NAT-IPv6-adddress 
fields per their names.
And also take the opportunity to update 
"draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-12" to RFC6146.

ie, removing the text in *red* below, and adding the text in *green*.

Perhaps we should add some other NAT RFCs, or entirely remove the last 
sentence, "See ... for specification" ?

Support? Feedback? Objections?

Thanks,
P.

281    postNATSourceIPv6Address    ipv6Address    current

           The definition of this Information Element is identical to
           the definition of Information Element 'sourceIPv6Address', 
except that
           it reports a modified value caused by a *NAT64* middlebox 
function after
           the packet passed the Observation Point.

           See [RFC2460] for the definition of the Source Address field 
in the IPv6
           header. See [RFC3234] for the definition of middleboxes. See
*http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-12* 
*RFC6146* for
           nat64 specification.

282    postNATDestinationIPv6Address    ipv6Address    current

           The definition of this Information Element is identical to
           the definition of Information Element 
'destinationIPv6Address', except
           that it reports a modified value caused by a *NAT64* 
middlebox function
           after the packet passed the Observation Point.

           See [RFC2460] for the definition of the Destination Address 
field in the
           IPv6 header. See [RFC3234] for the definition of middleboxes. See
*http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-12* 
*RFC6146* for
           nat64 specification.

---

From: Andrew Feren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:35:39 -0400

At the very least I would think the references should be in the 
references field.

Probably applies equally to IEs: 46, 101, 208, 281, 282, 304, 361, 362, 
368, 369

46, 208, 368, 369 puts the reference in the description and references.  
The others in the above list have references only in the description.  
All other IEs have any references in the references field.

I also noticed that there is a mixed bag of links I can click on and 
text URLs that I need to copy and past.

As for removing NAT64 from the description my initial reaction is that 
it is a good idea.

-Andrew

On 09/14/2012 03:29 PM, Paul Aitken wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
>
> I propose to request that IANA modify IEs 281 and 282 to remove 
> "NAT64" from their descriptions, to make them generic 
> post-NAT-IPv6-adddress fields per their names.
> _______________________________________________
> IPFIX mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix