Subject: Re: [IPFIX] DRAFT minutes for IPFIX meeting in Orlando

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:45:04 +0100

Nevil,

Two points inline, everything else snipped:

> + Mechanisms for moving Private Enterprise IEs into the IANA
>   IPFIX IE Registry, so that Collectors can recognise them
>   more easily.

My understanding is that this registry would be outside of IANA.

I strongly oppose pushing private enterprise information into a 
standards body's registry. They already maintain a perfectly good 
standards-based registry.

> These will be discussed further on the IPFIX list.

If we're considering new work items, please don't forget 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aitken-ipfix-unobserved-fields-01

It has expired simply because there's nothing new to be said. However, 
the work is desperately needed. Due to the lack of standardisation, 
cisco is already using several of these techniques to indicate 
unavailable and/or unobserved fields.

Thanks,
P.

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 17:06:57 +1200

Hi Paul:

Responses inline ...

> standards-based registry.

Agreed.  That bullet point is from my one-para summary of the meeting.
The topic it summarises was the transitioning of a PE IE to a standard
IE, and how we make that work.

> unavailable and/or unobserved fields.

Again, I agree.  However, the minutes record what happened in one
particular meeting, I don't recall it actually being discussed.

The time to raise this will be when we actually consider possible new
work - once we get close to finishing the current charter items.

Cheers, Nevil

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                          Computer Science Department
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand