Subject: ADM - Draft Minutes from IETF42

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 13:59:03 PDT

Here are the draft minutes from the IETF42 IPP WG Meeting.

If I do not hear any comments by September 18, this will be sent as the
official minutes to the IETF secretariat.

Carl-Uno

--

The meeting was attended by 29 people.

Notes were taken by Scott Isaacson. 

Agenda:

- Short history of the project (presentation by Carl-Uno Manros)
- Information about upcoming test event for IPP (presentation by Carl-Uno
Manros)
- Security parameters in the ipp:// URL scheme (presentation and discussion
led by John Wenn)
- Similarities and differences between IPP and IFax (discussion led by Larry
Masinter)

A short history and overview of the project was presented by the chair. (see
slides for further details)

11/97 - IPP drafts refined, 5 major documents
12/97 - IPP WG Last Call
1/98 - Edits to WG drafts
2/98 - Drafts submitted to IESG
5/98 - Comments from Area Director
8/98 - Still waiting for final feedback from IESG

The chair informed about an upcoming IPP test event on September 23-25. So
far, 16 organizations have signed up for this inter-operability event. The
testing will be based on the current IPP drafts from June 30, 1998. See
slides for further details.

The most important agenda point was a presentation by John Wenn on how to
build in a security parameter in the ipp:// scheme and mapping of that to
the HTTP Upgrade parameter. With the subsequent documentation of this
solution, which has been validated with the TLS and HTTP groups, it is
believed that all known issues raised by the IESG have been addressed by the
IPP WG. It was pointed out during the discussion of the solution that we
need multiple values for security mechanisms used, as e.g. TLS and Digest
Authentication may both be used together. This will be fixed in the next
draft. There were no comments on the current draft
<draft-ietf-ipp-ipp-scheme-00.txt>. Also see slides for further details.

Larry Masinter led a discussion on interoperability between IPP and IFax.
There seemed to be sufficient interest in this subject to justify writing an
informational document that gives advice to implementors of IPP/IFax
gateways or implementation of both protocols in the same system or device.
One person offered to become the editor of such a document. It is not
planned to introduce this subject as an official part of either the IPP or
IFax WGs charter, but it is expected to be developed in collaboration
between these two groups. See slides for further details.

Meeting adjourned early.

---

Carl-Uno Manros
Chair of IETF WG on IPP

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]