Subject: [IPP] JPS-2 (Restart-Job, Reprocess-Job, Resubmit-Job)

From: "William Wagner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:46:16 -0500

Understood (I think):

A.Restart-Job causes a retained job to be reapplied to the printer. Job-ID
etc are retained

B. Reprocess-Job causes  a copy of a retained job to be created as an
independent new job, with its own Job-ID etc, but with all submitted
attributes the same as the retained job (except for save and proof)

C. Resubmit-Job causes a copy of a retained job to be created as an
independent new job, with its own Job-ID etc, but with the potential of
changing the values of  the attributes in the retained job and adding new
attributes. All the values of attributes that are not changed are kept the
same as in the retained job (except for save and proof)

Question 1: Reprocess-Job can refer to a retained job in the aborted state
(RFC3998 para 4.1) Resubmit-Job cannot refer to a retained job in the
aborted state  (JPS-2 table in para 5.4). Is this difference intended?

Question 2: Is a Reprocess-Job with no changed attribute values and no new
attributes the same as a Resubmit-Job (with the possible exception of the
aborted job distinction)?

Thanks,

Bill Wagner

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp

---

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:17:58 -0500

Hi Bill,

Your understanding of these 3 operations is correct.

I'm sure you just found a bug if there's *any* state table
difference between Reprocess-Job and Resubmit-Job.

Tom and Mike - comments?

We should discuss this bug next week during our
continuation of JPS2 review, if not before.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto:[email-masked]
winter:
  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
  734-944-0094
summer:
  PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
  906-494-2434

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:24:19 -0800

> difference between Reprocess-Job and Resubmit-Job.

I thought the difference for Resubmit-Job was that the printer wouldn't be reprocessing the original document data, and so if the job was aborted (because of a document issue) there was no way to reprint the job?

Tom?

>  579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176

________________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair