Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [CFRG] OCB patents are abandoned; freely usable

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 11:37:42 -0500

FYI

OCB is a faster mode for AES than GCM (the current MTI in TLS/1.3).  Do
read the linked
post about how Phil Rogaway intentionally abandoning the OCB patents.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Salz, Rich <rsalz=[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 11:31 AM
Subject: [CFRG] OCB patents are abandoned; freely usable
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Quoting from a posting to the cryptography mailing list,
https://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2021-February/036762.html :

On 2/16/21, 9:19 PM, "Jon Callas" <[email-masked]> wrote:

. . .

    The deal, which is publicly verifiable from the PTO, is that he stopped
paying the PTO upkeep fee, and so the patents are all now abandoned. I
wrote him because I went to the PTO to check on expiry dates and saw that
and thought "huh?" about it. He verified that it was intentional as a way
to put the matter to bed without license games.

. . .
_______________________________________________
CFRG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/cfrg
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp