Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [dispatch] WG Review: Serialising Extended Data About Times and Events (sedate)

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:52:58 -0400

FYI - better timestamps.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Francesca Palombini <francesca.palombini=[email-masked]
Date: Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: [dispatch] [Sedate] WG Review: Serialising Extended Data About
Times and Events (sedate)
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hi all,

(CC dispatch for information)

The charter for the Sedate working group has passed the first phase and is
now in external review. Additionally, the sedate mailing list has been
created. Do go over there and subscribe if you are interested.

Now is the time to let the IESG know of any comment you might have on the
charter text.

I am also looking for volunteers to chair the wg. It is ok to volunteer
someone you think would be a good fit. I hope that, given the interest in
this work, we will not have problems finding chairs, but as a reminder:
please do consider volunteering if you support this work, as with no chairs
there will be no working group.

Please reply to this thread (dropping the dispatch mailing list), or send
an email to the IESG ([email-masked]), or directly to me with any comments
on the charter, or volunteering as chair.

Thanks,
Francesca

On 01/06/2021, 16:02, "Sedate on behalf of The IESG" <
[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area.
The
    IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
    submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your
    comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2021-06-11.

    Serialising Extended Data About Times and Events (sedate)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current status: Proposed WG

    Chairs:
      TBD

    Assigned Area Director:
      Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

    Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
      Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>
      Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>

    Mailing list:
      Address: [email-masked]
      To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sedate
      Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/sedate/

    Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/sedate/

    Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-sedate/

    RFC3339 defines a format that can reliably express an instant in time,
either
    in UTC or in a local time along with the offset against UTC. However,
    datetime data often has additional context, such as the timezone or
calendar
    system that was in use when that instant was recorded. Particularly when
    using times for interval, recurrence, or offset calculations, it is
necessary
    to know the context in which the timepoint exists.

    It is valuable to have a serialisation format that retains this context
and
    can reliably round-trip the additional context to systems that
understand it,
    via intermediate systems that only need to know about the instant in
time.

    The TC39 working group at ECMA have developed a format that is a good
basis
    for this work: draft-ryzokuken-datetime-extended.

    It is anticipated that this document would be a companion to RFC3339
rather
    than a replacement, embedding an unaltered RFC3339 instant along with
the
    contextual data.

    It is also within scope for this working group to consider a minor
update to
    RFC3339 to allow larger than four-digit signed years, to enable
representing
    times further into the past and future.

    It is anticipated that this working group will publish one or two
documents
    on the work mentioned above. After that, the working group will close
down or
    recharter.

    The working group will coordinate with ECMA International TC39 and ISO
TC154.

    Milestones:

      Dec 2021 - Submit extended date and time draft to the IESG for
publication

    --
    Sedate mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sedate

_______________________________________________
dispatch mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp