Subject: Guaranteed and timely message delivery

From: Grotefeld Glenn-cecl03 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:56:38 -0500

[My apologies to those of you who receive this from multiple mailing lists.
- GG]

Wall Street Journal, 15 May 2000 (non-interactive edition)

A brief article discussed a new startup, Slam Dunk Networks Inc.  

"The new venture, Slam Dunk Networks, Inc. is betting that Web performance
will be unacceptable when new business exchanges start zapping purchase
orders and payments around.  The Redwood City, Calif., company plans to
address the problem by setting up server computers in 20 locations around
the world and reformulating the data for private, efficient transport.  It
sends at lease two copies of each message, choosing different Internet
routes to each destination.

These redundant systems, Mr. Miller says, will allow a bold promise:
guaranteed delivery of any message anywhere in the world in four seconds.

Slam dunk has raised $50 million from an unusual group of blue-chip
investors, including Cisco Systems Inc., American Express Co., Oracle Corp.,
SAP AG, Adobe Systems Inc. and Tibco Software Inc.

...

And what happens if the messages don't arrive when Slam Dunk promises?

'We're working on that,' Mr. Miller says. 'We will have insurance in case we
screw up.'   "

Glenn Grotefeld

Motorola, Inc.
[email-masked]
US  847 576-5992
      847 538-7455  FAX