Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:32:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Instantaneous Packet Delay Variation Metric for IPPM
	Author(s)	: C. Demichelis, P. Chimento
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-05.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 24-Jul-00
	
This memo refers to a metric for variation in delay of packets across
Internet paths. The metric is based on statistics of the difference
in One-Way-Delay of consecutive packets. This particular definition
of variation is called 'Instantaneous Packet Delay Variation (ipdv)'.
 
The metric is valid for measurements between two hosts both in the
case that they have synchronized clocks and in the case that they are
not synchronized. In the second case it allows an evaluation of the
reciprocal skew. Measurements performed on both directions (Two-ways
measurements) allow a better estimation of clock differences. The
precision that can be obtained is evaluated.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-ipdv-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.