Subject: Re: [ippm] SMTP traffic metrics

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Feb 2003 15:48:58 -0500

Jeff Brainard <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm looking for metrics on the % of Internet traffic that is email
> (Port 25 SMTP). This can either be presented as 'raw packets' or
> 'number of connections.'  Thanks for any info you might have to pass
> along...

Jeff,

Sorry about this incredibly late reply.

I can speak for Abilene, the Internet2 backbone (now moving from
2.5Gb/s to 10Gb/s).  Most university-to-university traffic in the
U.S. is likely to traverse it.

On Abilene, the percentage of `mail' traffic (which includes ports for
protocols like SMTP, POP3, IMAP, encrypted versions of these, etc.,
all combined) comprises about 0.4% of octets and 0.6% of packets.

See http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/ for more information.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the incompetent
many for appointment by the corrupt few.                         -- G. B. Shaw
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm