Subject: [ippm] (no subject)

From: Supratik Bhattacharyya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:43:33 -0700

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this email.]

Greetings,

We have written a short internet draft on issues and concerns in
deploying monitoring infrastructure in ISP networks. The goal of this
document is to open a discussion on whether there should be a BOF to
address these at the next IETF (Vienna, July 2003). We welcome
comments/inputs from everyone.

The draft can be found at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhattacharyya-monitoring-deplo
yment-00.txt

Thanks and regards,

Supratik Bhattacharyya
Gianluca Iannaccone
Christophe Diot
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Robert Holley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:22:37 -0400

Supratik,

After reviewing your draft, I have a few comments;

You mentioned the need for a new control plane protocol. Are you suggesting
that SNMP would not meet your needs and therefore are proposing to develop a
different control plane protocol?

Conceptually, your draft has merit. There are several groups some of which
you mentioned, that are working to define metrics. However, there is a great
deal of latitude in how those metrics may be applied in a monitoring
solution. If you are proposing a work group that would use existing metrics
and then identify how they should be used in a unified manner, then I think
the work group would have value.

Guidelines on the selection of metrics, the nominal data values, the
reporting mechanisms and information content would be useful if it could be
standardized.

Another point is that general monitoring can take on a very large scope.
Monitoring for a particular goal may be a more realistic and manageable
task. For example, monitoring for Fault Management is quite different then
monitoring for Performance Management.

regards
============================================
Robert Holley
Network Consulting Engineer
Global Solutions Engineering

Cisco Systems
7025 Kit Creek Road.
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Phone:  +1 919-392-2359
Pager:   +1 800-796-7363 pin 100-9187
============================================

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Supratik Bhattacharyya
> Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 4:44 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Supratik Bhattacharyya
> Subject: [ippm] (no subject)
>
>

---

From: "Robert Holley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:22:37 -0400

Supratik,

regards

Cisco Systems
7025 Kit Creek Road.