Subject: [ippm] approach to determine bandwidth used by application

From: "gab.seun jones.ewulomi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:18:10 +0000

Hi Guys,

Need advice as I dont know what to conclude

Scenario
I went to a customer site and did some packet captures using NAI sniffer. I 
will use the logon-app.trc as an example. I basically captured packets while 
a user logged on to a remote application. The aim being how much traffic is 
generated while logging on to determine how much bandwidth is used on logon 
to the application

1)i used tethereal/ethereal(same as the summary window i presume) to view 
the logon-app,trc file (output below and please correct me if I have 
misunderstood any part in my descriptions)

frame                                    frames:303 bytes:29884(Total 
payload+headers)
tr                                     frames:303 bytes:29884
  llc                                  frames:303 bytes:29884
    ip                                 frames:303 bytes:29884
      tcp                              frames:303 bytes:29884
        data                           frames:214 bytes:24366 (total payload 
bytes)

2)using NAI sniffer I got 31096 bytes in total when you click on the 
statistics tab on NAI sniffer.

3)using tcpdump
12:38:40.760392 snap ip 10.101.2.161.3459 > 11.134.32.61.ica: P [tcp sum ok] 
98260575:98260602(27) ack 3072908457 win 8458 (DF) (ttl 32, id 2330, len 67)

My understanding is

(27) - is the payload in bytes
len 67 - is total bytes payload+headers (I think this only adds the tcp and 
ip headers)

I then used a script using a combination of awk and sed to format and grab 
the columns with the total byte lengths for each frame e.g (len 67) for both 
src and dst e.g

tcpdump -r logon-app-trc.cap src <ip>  -vvv
tcpdump -r logon-app-trc.cap dst <ip> -vvv

and then added them all together and it gave me
23218 bytes in total

23218 bytes

Now judging by what I want done which is to determine the amount of 
bandwidth consumed on logon which of this is giving me a true picture in 
which I can use in my bandwidth calculation.

And please correct me any where I might have mis-understood anything.

As this is the ippm forum. Is there a better approach to this e.g finding 
out how much bandwidth is being used while users do certain tasks.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated on the best approach.

Regards,
seun

_________________________________________________________________
It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! 
http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm