Subject: [ippm] Protocol Action: 'Loss Episode Metrics for IPPM' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:48:35 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Loss Episode Metrics for IPPM'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Wesley Eddy and David Harrington.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics/

Technical Summary

The IETF has developed a one way packet loss metric that measures the
loss rate on a Poisson probe stream between two hosts. However, the
impact of packet loss on applications is in general sensitive not
just to the average loss rate, but also to the way in which packet
losses are distributed in loss episodes (i.e., maximal sets of
consecutively lost probe packets). This draft defines one-way packet
loss episode metrics, specifically the frequency and average duration
of loss episodes, and a probing methodology under which the loss
episode metrics are to be measured.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Henk Uijterwaal, and the responsible AD is Wes
Eddy.