Subject: [ippm] Protocol Action: 'IPPM standard advancement testing' to BCP (draft-ietf-ippm-metrictest-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:46:33 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPPM standard advancement testing'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-metrictest-05.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Wesley Eddy and David Harrington.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-metrictest/

Technical Summary

This document specifies tests to determine if multiple independent
instantiations of a performance metric RFC have implemented the
specifications in the same way. This is the performance metric
equivalent of interoperability, required to advance RFCs along the
standards track. Results from different implementations of metric
RFCs will be collected under the same underlying network conditions
and compared using state of the art statistical methods. The goal is
an evaluation of the metric RFC itself, whether its definitions are
clear and unambiguous to implementors and therefore a candidate for
advancement on the IETF standards track.

Personnel

Henk Uijterwaal is the document shepherd, and Wesley Eddy is the responsible AD.