Subject: [ippm] On draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-valua-added-octets

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:34:54 +0100

On 28/02/2012 10:19, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:
> Please see below.  This document has meanwhile been submitted as
> draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-valua-added-octets and the authors have asked for
> comments.

Speaking as both myself and a WG chair, not sure where to draw the line.

I have reviewed the document.  Technically, it looks quite clear, I have some
comments on how to fit this into the bigger picture though:

1. The reason for publishing this draft is to document the work done by the
   authors in a permanent way.  The WG has reviewed the document to verify
   that the description of the work done is clear.

   The document is not published as "the WG consensus solution" to a
   specific problem, as there is no consensus amongst the WG on what
   the problem is.  There has been no discussion and there no
   consensus either if this solution is the one the WG prefers.

   The abstract and introduction should explicitly says this.

   What I want to avoid, is that this gets to be the
   de facto standard without WG consensus on the problem or the solution.

2. The IANA section can be dropped.  Yes, there is a registry and the
   authors made private extension to it, but now that the experiment is
   over, they can be removed again, and IANA doesn't have to do anything
   now.

3. I think it would be good to mention that there is a working prototype
   implementation of these extensions, with a reference if that is at all
   possible.  The document should say that it describes the prototype as
   it was on the day the document was written.

   I did noticed changes in the protocol extensions over the versions.
   Is this because the prototype was modified?

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk(at)uijterwaal.nl
                                          http://www.uijterwaal.nl
                                          Phone: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There appears to have been a collective retreat from reality that day.
                                 (John Glanfield, on an engineering project)

---

From: Steve Baillargeon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:48:50 -0400

Good morning Henk
We have updated the draft as requested.

See enclosed notice.

Please let us know if the changes are OK.

Regards
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henk Uijterwaal
Sent: March-19-12 9:35 AM
To: IETF IPPM WG
Subject: [ippm] On draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-valua-added-octets

On 28/02/2012 10:19, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:
> draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-valua-added-octets and the authors have asked 
> for comments.

I have reviewed the document.  Technically, it looks quite clear, I have some comments on how to fit this into the bigger picture though:

Henk

There appears to have been a collective retreat from reality that day.
                                 (John Glanfield, on an engineering project) _______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets-01.txt
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:24:40 -0400
List-Id: IETF IP Performance Metrics Working Group <ippm.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : TWAMP Value-Added Octets
        Author(s)       : Steve Baillargeon
                          Christofer Flinta
                          Andreas Johnsson
                          Svante Ekelin
        Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets-01.txt
        Pages           : 16
        Date            : 2012-03-26

   This memo describes an extension to the TWAMP test protocol for
   identifying and managing packet trains, which enables measuring
   capacity metrics like the available path capacity, tight section
   capacity and UDP delivery rate in the forward and reverse path
   directions.

   This memo is the product of a working prototype. It does not
   represent a consensus of the IETF community. The IETF community is
   currently working on the problem statement and has not reached
   consensus on the preferred method for measuring capacity metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-value-added-octets-01.txt

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:18:03 +0200

Hi Steve, others,

> Please let us know if the changes are OK.

I'm happy with the changes.  Detail, while I think that I understand
what

  This memo is the product of a working prototype.

is supposed to mean,

  This memo contains the description of a working prototype

is a lot clearer.  (You can leave this as is for now and fix
this during the publication process).

Henk