Subject: [ippm] BCP 176, RFC 6576 on IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Standard Advancement Testing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 04:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 176        
        RFC 6576

        Title:      IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Standard 
                    Advancement Testing 
        Author:     R. Geib, Ed.,
                    A. Morton, R. Fardid,
                    A. Steinmitz
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      37
        Characters: 84447
        See Also:   BCP0176

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-metrictest-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6576.txt

This document specifies tests to determine if multiple independent
instantiations of a performance-metric RFC have implemented the
specifications in the same way.  This is the performance-metric
equivalent of interoperability, required to advance RFCs along the
Standards Track.  Results from different implementations of metric
RFCs will be collected under the same underlying network conditions
and compared using statistical methods.  The goal is an evaluation of
the metric RFC itself to determine whether its definitions are clear
and unambiguous to implementors and therefore a candidate for
advancement on the IETF Standards Track.  This document is an
Internet Best Current Practice.  

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC