Subject: [ippm] CFP ACM HomeSys 2012

From: Anmol Sheth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:27:29 -0700

------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------
Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP
------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------

ACM HomeSys 2012
1st ACM Workshop on Systems and Infrastructure for the Digital Home
September 8th, 2012 - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Held in conjunction with Ubicomp 2012
Website: https://sites.google.com/site/homesys2012/

Ubiquitous computing has often presented the future digital home as a mix
of rich computing, networking and sensing infrastructure that seamlessly
interacts with the inhabitants to enable new and enjoyable experiences,
applications and services. Today’s reality, however, is far from that. The
digital home has already migrated into many homes in a piecemeal manner.
The home of today is a complex mix of heterogeneous technologies, operating
with limited coordination, and certainly not offering the set of services
originally imagined. Furthermore as the number of devices inside the home
and their functionality continue to increase, the complexity involved in
managing, troubleshooting and securing digital technology in the home will
become a major overhead for users and a barrier to the adoption of new
technology.

Overcoming these barriers requires a user-centered approach to developing
systems for the digital home. Such an approach would provide careful
considerations to the needs of inhabitants in the home who may lack the
technical skills needed to setup, manage and secure digital systems or the
inclination to do so.

HomeSys will foster this approach by bringing together researchers and
practitioners from the multiple disciplines of networking, systems, HCI,
ubiquitous computing and security. HomeSys will provide a platform to share
new ideas and experiences and to discuss the challenges and important
questions posed by today’s and future technology in the digital home.
HomeSys builds upon the two successful ACM SIGCOMM HomeNets workshops
(2011, 2010) and aims to be the premier workshop for user-centered digital
home technology.

We solicit stimulating, original, previously unpublished ideas on completed
work, position papers, and/or work-in-progress papers. We further encourage
papers that propose new research directions or could generate lively debate
at the workshop.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* User centered methods and techniques for home systems development
* Monitoring, troubleshooting and management of systems and infrastructure
* Deployments and assessments of home systems
* Automatic and user driven approaches to the configuration of digital home
systems
* Networked digital home applications and measurements (Video Streaming,
 Games, etc).
* User interfaces for complex digital home systems
* Home networking technologies (xDSL/Cable, WiFi, Bluetooth, 3/4G, femto
cells, power lines, satellite, sensor networks)
* Studies of inhabitants use of digital technology in domestic settings
* Smart technologies for home utilities (e.g., smart grid).
* Users understandings of environmental monitoring technologies.
* Incorporation of mobile devices within home networks and home systems
* Studies of mobility and the link between home and other environments
* Cloud-aware Home Infrastructures
* Security and privacy issues in digital home systems
* Home infrastructures and neighborhood/community infrastructures.
* Home automation with novel sensing technologies
* Tools and interfaces for digital home systems

Important Dates:
* Paper submission: 1st June 2012 (midnight PST)
* Notification: 29th June 2012
* Camera ready:July 6th 2012
* Workshop date: September 8th 2012

Submission Guidelines:
* Submissions must be as a single PDF file no longer than 6 pages in length.
* They must include the authors' names and affiliations for single-blind
peer reviewing by the program committee.
* Submissions must follow the ACM formatting guidelines.
* Authors of accepted papers are expected to present their papers at the
workshop.
* Submissions must be original work not under review at any other workshop,
conference, or journal.
* Papers should be submitted via the submission site.